1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

A place to share quarantine photos

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Dan S, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I thought it might be nice to pass the time sharing some photos we take during the lockdown. I'm finding things in the house and garden, plants are my starting point.

This is a plant that flowers about four times a year; these were taken two days apart

[​IMG]garden-7 by Dan, on Flickr

[​IMG]flowers-12 by Dan, on Flickr

Geren and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Nice to see the Christmas cactus in bloom. Mine used to be really early and over by now.

I got some eggs from the butcher the other day. Free range, organic and white! Haven't seen white hens eggs for years.

ap white eggs 2.jpg

alfbranch, RogerMac and Dan S like this.
  3. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

So it's a Christmas cactus! It sits above a radiator and keeps giving us these wonderful flowers.

Which breed gives white eggs? I heard someone talking about white eggs the other day, but I don't think I was paying attention.

Catriona likes this.
  4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

White chickens give white eggs, brown hens brown ones

Catriona and Dan S like this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

It's that simple... Obvious now you say that. White dog poo?

6. Catriona

What mine used to love was on an overcast but warm day, take them outside and water them all over with a watering can! I used to see the new growth afterwards all over them!

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Bones in the diet.

Dan S and Catriona like this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

How do you explain the blue eggs that my friend's hen, Elvis, used to lay? She wasn't blue!

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

I must admit I thought it was in the feed.
    Blue egss? Duck?

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A handful of chicken breeds lay blue/green eggs. They're not commercial breeds and the eggs taste no different to white or brown, but they're a good money spinner to a certain shopper demographic.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Blue suede shoes. Surprised you had to ask.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Should add that would be the same demographic that would be horrified if they knew the hens were genetically modified.

Learning likes this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I challenged my Workshop peeps to take ten photos of the same room every day for a week. Today is Day 4. Things are getting...abstract.

Definitely a hen. A brown hen. Lynn rescues ex battery hensand gives them a decent end of life oncethefactory has declaredthem eggless Nearly all of them start laying again after awhile

Catriona likes this.
  14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We get blue eggs, white eggs and brown eggs from various breeds, depending on where we shop. I often poach different eggs together. We can tell apart some of the eggs with no difficulty. Often do a blind taste for my wife. Not saying it's because they are blue as such but that some eggs are far nicer.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Taste is down to what the hens have been fed on. Unless your eggs have come from hens that have been housed together and fed the same diet, then there will be variation in flavour.

Catriona likes this.
  16. dream_police

Ahh ok. Thanks

17. Catriona

I remember a period when hens were being fed fishmeal.
    The eggs tasted disgusting.

18. dream_police

Like big caviar?:)

MJB, Dan S and Catriona like this.
  19. Catriona

Not as nice! The brain and tastebuds rebelled.

20. dream_police

So you are saying caviar is nice?
    Vomit emoji needed.

Zou and AndyTake2 like this.