1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

A piece of photographic history

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by John Farrell, Nov 22, 2021.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Pentacon D.jpg

A Pentacon D. Not working - the first shutter curtain winds with the second, but doesn't release separately - both curtains run at the same time.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I do love the Contax S and its successors. An extremely important bit of camera history, but also nice cameras in their own right. Here's my piece on the Pentacon FM: https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/nicks-classic-corner-no-53-pentacon-fm.127123/

As it happens, I dug it out the other week thinking of taking it with me to Cornwall. In the end, a new - brand new - purchase went instead, but it was so nice to get it out and have a play with it. The camera, I mean, you filthy lot. The shutter in mine looks more than a little dodgy, with a fair few ripples, but still appears to fire correctly.

John Farrell likes this.
  3. John Farrell

I started reading the technical information I have on these cameras, with a view to exploratory surgery. I tested the camera one more time - and it worked (except for the second curtain stopping before the left edge of the film gate).

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed, what a looker! Sadly I wasn't interested in photography when I visited Dresden in 1994 or I would have looked up the Ernemann tower - especially as the friend I was staying with worked for what I assume was the rump of Pentacon.

I'm assuming that you are going to do surgery, John?

John Farrell likes this.
  5. John Farrell

I may remove the film gate - it is held on by 4 screws, and removing it exposes the shutter curtains. I may then be able to see what is holding up the second curtain

6. gray1720

Good luck with that, John - it would be nice to have it working.

John Farrell likes this.
  7. John Farrell

It will work as it is - but I won't get a full frame picture.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My first camera was a Pentacon FM, bought second hand from a shop in the City of London for £19-19-6d. Not many pictures remain fro it but here are some...

Pentacon FM 1968 01-28.jpg

Sling shot soldier Pentacon FM.jpg

Feeding large bonfire at Kent youth hostel 1960s Pentacon FM 67-9020.jpg

zx9r, spinno, John Farrell and 3 others like this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Since the price 'format' indicates that this was before February 1971, that camera was quite expensive, Andrew! Twenty quid was a decent week's wages, then.

10. John Farrell

IMG_5224s.jpg

The camera came with this lens - a 50mm f2 Isco Westagon. The gizmo to the left fits over the boss for the shutter release, and its arm allows the shutter to be released by pressing the button on the lens.

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yes it was. Took a bit of persuading but it was worth it! :D

peterba likes this.
  12. John Farrell

IMG_5226s.jpg

This picture shows the film gate, with the edge of the second curtain. I could see nothing obvious causing this - but the fact that the viewfinder is very clean suggest that someone has been inside the camera, and "adjustments" have been made.

IMG_5230s.jpg
    This is the view with the film gate removed. The arrow points to the dog which engages with the sprocket shaft.

13. John Farrell

Well - after doing some digging I found that my picture above shows the normal rest position of the second curtain - and, of course, it won't affect the picture. Silly me! When I have finished the film I have in the Super Silette, I might load one up in the Pentacon.

14. gray1720

Do let us know what you get!

John Farrell likes this.
  15. John Farrell

The camera with the original lens - and the handy shutter release mechanism - fitted.

IMG_2942s.jpg

Simon Leung, zx9r and Zou like this.
  16. gray1720

Very nice indeed, John!

John Farrell likes this.
  17. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

That is a lot of effort to avoid a pre set iris?

John Farrell likes this.
  18. John Farrell

I have the same lens in Edixa mount - it doesn't need the connection to the shutter button for that. Very similar lenses were also available for Praktica and Exakta cameras.

19. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

A lovely example of an early export model.

John Farrell likes this.