1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A mount musings

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by swanseadave, May 2, 2010.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve learned a lot during my recent quest,mainly from members here and other forums,but also Michael Hohner`s site and other Minolta sites new to me.
    So,I started wondering why Minolta,in 2003 with the 3L,and 2004 with the 40,limited the flash compatibility to the three D flashes which I believe were the only current ones available at the time.Could it be they were,as it were,testing the new technology prior to launching the KM 5D shortly after?
    These are the only Dynax cameras not compatible with any older Minolta flashes.Having emailed Herr Hohner and got a very fast reply,I now know that some 3rd party guns are also compatible,Metz and Sigma were mentioned,but not specific models.I now need to identify which ones they are.

OMG this is never ending. :D
    Someone said changing the body would be a simpler solution. :D

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Dave, I have a Metz 54 AF-1M which I use on a KM5D and Sony A350. It can be set for focal lengths between 24mm & 105mm.

I also have a Centon ring flash, this is pretty basic in that it fits and syncs to the Minolta/Sony flash shoe but doesn't do any of the fancy adjusting power for distance.

3. swanseadave

Morning Mike ;)Is your Metz A mount dedicated or via an adaptor,SCA3302?
    If I can identify a 3rd party flash that supports ADI for as little as possible I`ll be happy.

Incidentally,the reason older Minolta flashes will not work with my 40 and the 3L is as follows,posted by Michael Hohner on Dyxum yesterday:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    hohner
    Online Status: Offline
    Quote Reply
    Posted: Yesterday at 19:38
    The reason why the 40 and 3L require D flashes is that these cameras do not have a TTL-OTF metering cell. Pre-flash TTL metering or ADI must be supported by the flash in order to work with the 40. This is the case for the D flashes, but not for the older models.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    That explains it all and knocks a hole in my musing above :D

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

It's dedicated Dave.

5. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Having just read this thread, I wish I had been more attentive earlier Dave. It appears that I have been on a similar quest, but with me following a much more "bull in a china shop" approach.

By trial and error, I have managed to eliminate several third party (Sigma) flashes. First of all, my Sigma 500ST MA. I never believed the fact that it was going 'flash' at the same time as me releasing the shutter - my test camera being an a350. It was firing at full power, every time. No surprises there. [An email conversation with Sigma had previously confirmed that my test readings (voltages etc) showed that I was not going to damage the camera.].

My Sony-fit 'slave cube' adapter wouldn't fire this flash at all.

Same tests with a Sigma 500ST DG MA, the 'digital version'. The ttl worked to a large extent, but adi was non-existent (for the reason mentioned? but the manual said "ADI") Flash duration was also 'erratic', and occasionally varied according to the wind speed and direction. My Sony-fit 'slave cube' adapter also wouldn't fire this flash at all.

To add even more confusion, I bumped into a fellow Sony user who also had a 500ST DG MA atop his camera, and with his help, repeated the tests [this time in a dark Brighton street(!) so we didn't hang around long.] My Sony-fit 'slave cube' adapter would fire this flash, but the results dd not fill me with confidence.

Further conversation with Sigma simply showed:
    a) That they weren't at all surprised by the difference between individual flashes from the same model / line. After all, I was using the flash on a camera that it was not intended for in the first place.
    b) That Sigma were experts in not confirming anything other than the body colour of the flashgun was black. I think they would have had a problem confirming the day of the week, if it wasn't on their upgrade path. Further, every "what else can I try" seemed to be met with "buy a 530ST DG SO" - I had already told them I didn't, on this occasion, want to buy a 530 Super DG SO.

Similar tests with my Jessops 360 £79 special showed that it was working as well as expected. It did / does have the in-flash sensor so adi is possible with it.

I bought a 530ST DG SO, and so far - touch wood - it has been 100% reliable on both the a350 and a900.

Does this help?

6. swanseadave

Thank you Mark. :DYou have been through a lot haven`t you.
    Sigma never replied to my emails and ,from your experience,wouldn`t have been of any help anyway.

Actually I`ve just ordered,but not yet received,a Minolta Program 2500D for £50 from here
    If you come unstuck with your 530ST DG SO,they have a 3600HS(D) for £125,and a 5600HS(D)for£150.I hope your Sigma works out OK though.

Cheers ;) :)

7. swanseadave

Forgot to say,I did get a reply from Metz saying they don`t make a flash compatible with the Dynax 40!!

Well Michael Hohner thinks they do.

BTW,my 2500D just arrived.That`s excellent service I must say.
    I wonder if there are any Dynax 40 owners on here.Nobody`s raised their head above the parapet yet.Would be nice to compare notes.

Cheers :D

8. john39

john39 Well-Known Member

I got a Dynax 40, bought new after sony took over at a ridiculous low price, not used much, not bad though but I prefer the 7xi or SR7 unless I got the sony A200 out. Really only bought it to get the lens, was using an old 3xi at the time with 35 - 70 on it and camera was not much more than lens alone even used

9. swanseadave

Well I only have the Dynax 40,having been forced into building up a new system less than a year ago,when,for numerous reasons,I had to abandon my MF system built up over 30+ years.I`m even having to replace filters.It`s a slow and ,for me,expensive business.

Getting there slowly though. ;) :D
    BTW,the 40 cost me £15 with 28-100 kit lens and I was instantly hooked on A mount. :cool:

Cheers :)

10. john39

john39 Well-Known Member

I got hooked on Minolta when my dad gave me a 3xi he found in the park in Armadale WA, then bought,7000i,40,7xi,XGM, SRT101,Centon DF300(X300 clone but cheaper and newer) SR7, 7000, XD7. Along the way I acquired another 3xi cos it had 80-200 and 28-80 with it, as well as varios lens, including Sigma superwide 24 in md fit,and a vivitar series 1 80-200 that came with the SR7. I think I finished collecting for a while as that seems a reasonable example of Minolta cameras. The sony was/is a minolta in all but name so qualifies to my eyes and has just done over 2200 photos in Aus, still processing. Minolta gear was cheap until Sony came out now prices are going up, I found the 28-100 lens good as allrounder.

PS daughter at Swansea Uni studying Psychology

PPS as for flash I use a Centon FH 80 & 85

11. swanseadave

Quite a collection you`ve got there.
    In spite of bad reports on Dyxum about the 28-100,I too have had more than acceptable results with it.
    Most Minolta film bodies are still affordable;it`s the lenses that have sky rocketed recently.I did get a 50mm 1.7 for £50 though.

I bet the Centon flashes don`t work properly with the 40,based on what I`ve learned recently.
    Since your daughter lives here,do you know the area well?

12. john39

john39 Well-Known Member

Not really, only to drop her off and pick up again at end of first term, though she is going into digs in june so we will be able to visit and look around more. we did visit the mumbles when we collected her in December, nice but breezy. After that she used the train SNOW here and last month when we were in Aus visiting relatives. We are in Reading so nice fast trains every hour and with student discount cheaper than car.
    Thinking about it (but not too hard, I`m only a bus driver) flash probably will only work manual though Module has auto mode on it. As for lenses what about an adapter and using manual focus md lenses which are cheap - Sigma SW 24mm cost £15 on ebay ;)

13. swanseadave

Using MD lenses is something I hadn`t considered.May be worth seeking out if an adaptor is available.

BTW,another member here(Linux Lady)is from reading but lives in Swansea weekdays.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

There are adaptors available, but they all use a lens element in order to achieve infinity focus. This adds about 20% to the focal length (and drops about half a stop of aperture). Those without the lens element do not achieve infinity focus.

15. john39

john39 Well-Known Member

apparently manual on p54 says only A mount lenses can be used just tried on mine and seems correct, (just read post in Help section) Bugger

16. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Good afternoon Dave, I am sure that Metz would be the way to go (I have four of them 2x 30BCT4's a 28M1 and a 45 CT4 which uses the SCA adaptor very nicely on both the R8 and the D2X (when I still had it) I have used all of them on the XPan and they are superb, powerful guns and allow either full manual or fairly sophisticated TTL measurement. Given the current Ebay pricing they are certainly a lot cheaper than dedicated guns and of course do not lock you into a camera system. The SCA's are fairly expensive but do give a much greater element of control. Good luck with your re-equipping. Recent experience allows me to know just how hard that is.

17. swanseadave

Good morning to you Peter.Haven`t seen you on here much lately.Hope Harry Hip is now ok.
    You are right about how hard flash compatibilty is.
    In fact I eventually bought a Minolta Program 2500D from here for £50.
    Since I won`t change systems again it`s ideal for me.