1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A method for monitor brightness callibration

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Andrew Ranshaw, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This may be all very fine and "sci-en-tif-ic" but at the end of the day I strongly suspect that brightness and contrast are chosen subjectively by the majority of users.

2. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

If the software encourages you to fiddle with the RGB controls in an LCD monitor, as it often does, it has an adverse impact on the monitor's gamut. Of course, this may not be discernible to most people. Yes, the OSD brightness control is a physical adjustment, hence the reason you should stick to that where possible.

Well, yes, but there are plenty of labs that send out a test print and advise customers to adjust their monitors to match the print (an arse-about-face way of doing things).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I rarely use my colour printer for photos but on the occasions I have the result matches the screen quite closely. I have done nothing to the setups so perhaps it’s just lucky coincidence.
    The printer is a HP Photosmart, the monitor a Hanns-G, the OS Linux and I use Epson paper.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'm no expert on printing, as you'll probably work out from what I'm about to write next...... :)

When people say that their printed image closely matches the image they see on their screen, that can only be so depending on what type of light is shining on the print.

I edit my prints in a fairly dim room with the main room light switched off. The monitor brightness is set at 90 cd/m2 which is what my SpyderPro suggests. Obviously when viewing the prints I have to turn on the main room light. They are then being lit by whatever colour temperature lamp I'm using. If I then take the print to the window is is being lit with natural light so will look different. Whether you think your prints are correct or not, depends entirely on where you view them and under what light.

As I was told............ if it looks right..... it is right.....

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Just bough a cheap as chips canon MG5750 printer from PCword ... they are selling them at half price... £45... if you use genuine inks a set would cost more than that .
    I just tested it with the inks that came with it, and it exceeded my expectations, closely matching what I see on my ColorMunki display calibrated screen.

However I only rarely print my own colour prints, but order them on line. I will replace the inks with look alike's from 7dayshop.com for only about £9 a set as they run out.
    so the colour may or may not look as good with those. but I do not expect "critical"

Cheap home printer/scanners/copiers like this should be treated as disposable as the occasional use that I give it is not at all good for the heads, and they will rarely last more than three years of very occasional use before problems arise, what ever ink you use. But at least on canon printers it is possible to remove the heads to clean them. but they do what they say on the tin.

6. The attached pdf is handy.

Attached Files: