1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good read for insomniacs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gray1720, Jun 5, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Have you kept the family tradition of making your own coffin and keeping it stacked in the kitchen unassembled?
    A good article. Also I liked the Mavis Curtis article. Some of the issues relevant then still are.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thank you. My Great grandfather and his father (on my mother's side) were wrights in NE Scotland. My second cousin still had a lovely bureau ggrandfather made, but no doubt now consigned to the rubbish heap. I missed her going into a care home. :( Interesting and a nice read.

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I found it quite an interesting read. My great grandmother on my dad's side was the woman who when the poor died would do the laying out and take the body to the local cemetery for burial on a barrow. The tradition was when she was doing this if she passed a public house the landlord and customers would bow their heads and a free drink would be given to her. Apparently, she "always went the long way round"
    My mum used to say I was like her in tones that suggested she didn't approve of that at all! She outlived four husbands!

John Farrell and neilt3 like this.
  5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Presumably she got a pal to lay on the barrow and "play dead" ?
    Did the one lying down get a drink too ? :D

6. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I can go one better, I bought MY burial plot 7 years ago :)

7. miked

miked Well-Known Member

In at the tap room, through the four-ale bar, then through the snug, on into the best room in the house, and on to the next port of call. That's my kind of woman, Leslie - you have a right to be proud.

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I've thought about having my remains scattered on the roses in the garden .

Probably tell my family to wait until after I've been cremated though .

9. Learning

I thought rationally when I made my will. The solicitor was not quite sure how to put it, so he quoted me literally.
    "My remains are to be disposed of at lowest cost. I have had medical conditions and treatment which might be of interest to researchers. Let them pay for my disposal".​
    He also suggested how I should make arrangements for that to happen. I have not done so yet. Perhaps I should.

10. Learning

There is a new method involving rapid decomposition, and another involving strong alkalis.

11. LesleySM

I just bet she did as well!

She made it to 98 despite 4 husbands, being as it was quietly put "a bit fond of the beer" and smoking.....

My role model! (Not sure about the 4 husbands bit though I haven't been married yet and even if you count Dave. I'm 62 and need 3 to catch up!)

Learning likes this.
  12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about being dug into the compost heap , nor being chucked in a lime put .
    I've always liked a good fire , so it makes sense , you can't beat a good burn up .;)

13. Learning

When I am dead I will be in no state to care. Neither will I be looking up or down because there is no hell or heaven.
    Even so it would be nice to leave a nice legacy.

John Farrell and neilt3 like this.
  14. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

So get yourself scattered on some roses .
    It'll keep them growing a treat !

15. LesleySM

Apparently human ash is not that good a fertiliser.When dad died mum wanted to scatter his ashes on his favourite gold course but they said no because it caused the grass to turn yellow

16. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

That was a valuable lesson!

MickLL

miked likes this.
  17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I assume you mean "golf course " not "gold" ?

It isn't the type of ash that causes the grass to turn yellow .
    All the wood ash I get out of the incinerator goes on the garden or compost heap .
    You have to wait for it to be rained on to wash certain substances out , or if it goes on green leaves ( ie grass ) it burns them .
    Putting the ashes directly on the soil and being washed in via the rain or a hose pipe does plants no harm .

That's why at our local crematorium any ashes to be disposed off that the relatives don't want are scattered on the rose beds .

That's assuming they don't keep some to one side for gritting the steps in winter . :eek: