1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good cure for hayfever??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gazraa, Jun 22, 2005.

1. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good cure/relief from hayfever? I've tried just about every type of pill you can get from boots over the years and benadryl plus has been the most successful, only this year it doesn't seem to be having as much success.
    Any good natural remedies that I could try?

It's very annoying when you are just about to take a macro shot of an insect on a flower or something slimilar and you sneeze and scare everything off!! Plus not being able to see the camera screen properly due to red, watering eyes is a pain too.... literally!

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Long-term cocaine abuse? :) Sorry - hayfever isn't funny when you are suffering, as I know only too well. Mine is a lot better these days than it was maybe twenty years ago. Mostly I take nothing for it, but if it does get bad then Clarityn is what I turn to. It seems to work for me.

3. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

My hayfever used to be very very bad - nose bleeds every day etc. This year has been good ... so far.

I always find that washing your hair a lot is a good thing because otherwise you tranfer everything to your pillow or your clothes. Also, try hayfever sprays. Some tend to be quite good - apart from the one that smells of daffodils...

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I used to use anti-histamines years ago (Piriton mostly) but I got used to them and they stopped working. When I went to university I had a new doctor who had hay fever himself as well as his son. They both went through all the medicines on the market to see what worked the best. He recommended Beconase nasal spray and Opticrom eye drops. I have used them every year since. It takes a few days before they kick in. I always buy the smallest size since, by the time I use it all up, the hay fever season for me is over. Beconase and Opticrom used to be prescription only but they may be bought over the counter now. The only problem with these is that they work so well that you think that the season is over and stop taking them.

5. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Actually yes - I've used that too and it's very good.

6. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones. I use to have Hay Fever as a kid. Like most of you tried most things.

The only relief I found which did not space me out was to spray cool water into the eyes and actual sniff up water to clear the nasal paasage of pollen.

About ten years ago I found that i was doing more field work and less desk bound work. This ment going out to farms to carry out surveys etc. For some reason I don't know I found that I have built up an imuinty to the Polen. I still get a slight ichy eye or iritation to the nasal area. But nothing that needs treatment.

There is an altenaticve of course imegrate to the Antartic ;). No realy I have a lot of symphay to those that get it bad.

7. mags

mags Well-Known Member

....As a suffer myself you have my sympathy, as far as a natural remedy goe's I had a definet improvement when I ( on the advise of a local bee keeper!) ate Locally produced honey through out the year, its something to do with activating your imune system with the local pollen grains found in the honey, thats why it has to be locally produced to your area, not sure that makes sence but it certainly helped ....Liz

8. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

My little lad, 3, has just developed heavy hayfever symptoms and he's responded really well with Opticron eye drops and Piriton syrup (he can't have a lot else). Personally, I use Flixonase nasal spray to great effect - especially important to me as I cycle in the countryside every day!

9. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Almost as expensive as Huw's suggestion, you might want to look out for Nasonex. :cool:

10. Neil_L

Neil_L Well-Known Member

I seem to sufer ridiculously this year. Beconase isn't really helping anymore (I've always relied on it) and the Loratadine based one a day tablets seem to only give me half a day's relief. Think I'm going to try out Flixonase and those Opticrom eye drops. I find I sneeze loads as soon as I get up in the morning literally within minutes - it drives be bonkers!!!

11. EdC

EdC Active Member

Two Words: LOCAL HONEY

yes thats right even if you dont like it every year go get you nearest local honey you can find from farms etc. its cures hayfever indefinatly :D im clever :D

yer anyway have a few big spoons at the begining and then if it still happens keep eating it it cures hayfever kinda :D builds up imunity :D

contact me for more info not sure if i put it all

12. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've heard about the honey thing. Might be worth a go next year, but it won't give you instant relief which is what I need this year.
    There are also other things available to build up immunity which I shall look at next year too. I think I'll have to suffer it out this year as I don't want to keep paying out huge amounts for pills and sprays and drops that don't really work. Can't believe how expensive they are!

Keep the ideas coming though.

Apparently cucumber is very soothing for your eyes, perfect size too when you slice it :)

13. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

If you suffer from it very badly, you have have your GP prescribe you Cetirizine Hydrochloride - which is the ingredient in Zirtek etc. It comes in packets of 30 and costs you a prescription charge only!

14. elenydd

elenydd Well-Known Member

As well as all the above, you can always try my trick - stick a little vaseline in each nostril - stops pollen getting through. Seems to do the trick! Sudafed Decongestants are good as a reliever - but not if you have high blood pressure.

15. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Something no one has mentioned. Try wearing sunglasses. It does help keep the pollen out of the eyes.:cool:

Or wear a goldfish bowl. :D

16. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

never leave home without them, trouble is I get hayfever worse first thing in the morning and in the evening. don't fancy wearing sunglasses in bed :cool:

17. sey

sey Well-Known Member

& also prevents breathing!!! :D :D

18. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Yeh - that's an absolutely sure cure . . . . . .

19. SamsSauce

SamsSauce In the Stop Bath

I suppose as a last resort you could use skin-diver's Aqualung or WW2 gas-mask .... Maybe the BBC have a few they'd like to sell off ...

20. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

The Doctors cure

as worn [​IMG] here