1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Genuine WTF Moment

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, May 11, 2021.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Just got a phone call at work, I have to pick it up as I am waiting on some bad news even though the new boss is very down on using phones at work (to be fair I have a temporary exemption as she knows the score)

"Is this Mrs Madigan?"
    "Speaking"
    "It's about your washing machine"
    "At work, can't talk just now goodbye"
    And I hung up

The guy only went and called me back to say I'd been rude to him, that wasn't called for, didn't my parents teach me any manners etc!

RogerMac likes this.
  2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

OCDC customer service

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I think if he'd phoned me back to complain like that I'd have given an example of what rude is like.

I have had similar calls where the only variation in my response was including the word sorry. (as in 'sorry I'm at work....')

peterba likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The Warranty scam, well technically not a scam as it's a genuine company trying it on (Domestic and General)

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

When being offered additional warranty cover, I put aside 75-80% of the quote given in a separate bank a/c and tell them that's what I'm going to do. Over the past couple of decades, that money has accumulated into a tidy sum. So far, none of the products covered in this way hasn't ever failed within the allocated and I have a tidy sum to be used for a replacement once one of these claps out.

6. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

On several occasions I've simply told them if it's that unreliable I get a different model from elsewhere. The underwriters of the warranty insurance have to make a profit, so the cost of it is likely to be carefully considered to average less than repairs by a real margin. I don't think I've ever put aside money for repairs for stuff at home. Quite a different story at work where lab instrument repair contracts come to over £50k every year.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Someone phoned me at work and I heard enough to know that he was offering me some kind of bogus 'better' deal on my car insurance. I told him "Thank you for your call but I"m not interested' and hung up. He called me back to ask if I was stupid for not taking the better deal. I told him 'Yes' and hung up again.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I did a stint at a warranty company I was amazed at the profit margins!

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

At the hotel we had for a wee while a serial caller. An elderly lady we think, going by voice. She would phone up and ask how to spell random words. Unfortunately this often interrupted service. One day I was covering the lunch break at the desk and I received the call, asking me how to spell a particular word. I very politely explained that this was a hotel's main line, and that I was unable to assist her with the spelling. She just asked again. I repeated my message, and added if you don't have a legitimate enquiry of the hotel I cannot help, and would terminate the call. She again repeated her request how to spell the word. So I hung up.

Seconds later she rang back screaming "you are the rudest person I've ever encountered, I want to speak to your manager."

I took great pleasure in telling her that my manager was the GM who wasn't working that day, and that there was nobody more senior than myself on duty (I was FOH manager).

To which she responded: "I'm going to call the police and tell them you threatened to come to my house and rape me." and she hung up. :confused:

We never had any more calls from her though, so it was worth it!

10. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Spell checker Zou. Its spelled "surreal caller".:)

DaveM399 and Zou like this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

When I lived in the US, our telephone number was apparently one digit away from a Chinese takeaway place but I have no idea which one. Having to explain to folk that no, we couldn't get them three portions of spring rolls and duck in plum sauce for four was a regular occurrence. However one night we got a call from someone to complain that their delivery hadn't arrived. I explained that they'd got the wrong number and that I couldn't do anything about their delivery and suggested they look at the menu again for the right number. Twenty seconds later the phone rang again. Same person, same complaint, same suggestions from me. Nano seconds later, phone rang for a third time. By now I was getting a bit pissed off so instead of listening to the complaints all over again I launched into a very long, very therapeutic rant to say that I did not give a rats arse about their stupid dinner that they were too stupid to deserve it and hoped the delivery driver was getting to enjoy it instead and yeah, it wasn't the same person.

Zou and WillieJ like this.
  12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

We've had two fantastic callers in the 25 years we've lived at our current address. One was a little old lady who was adamant that we were the local meals on wheels. In the end we just relayed her orders to the real meals on wheels people as she wouldn't believe us or them that she was dialling the wrong number. The calls suddenly dried up one day. We kind of hoped she'd either dialled the right number, or got a place in a home. At least we made sure she didn't starve to death.

The other is 'Dom' (inique), a rather irate woman who must sit on various committees and has issues with receiving minutes from meetings. I don't delete her messages from our answerphone because if I'm ever in need of cheering up they are comedy gold.

13. LesleySM

When I worked at Mary's I got a call from an old lady
    As soon as I said "Hello" she launched into this lengthy speech about how her carer had gone to Tesco's and brought back the wrong pork pies then informed me he'd also got 4 loo rolls when she wanted 9 then it was the wrong bar of chocolate etc. I swear she must have only been breathing once every 2 minutes but every nanosecond she paused I'd try to say she had the wrong number but she'd immediately shout that I would understand if I only listened to the rest of her story then launched into how he got the wrong washing-up liquid "He didn't get Fairy and Fairy is the best isn't it? You do agree don't you?"

Finally after about 20 minutes she ended with "And what are you going to do about it?"
    I said "I'm sorry you've dialled the wrong number"
    "What?! This is the social care for the elderly co-ordinator isn't it?!"
    "No it's the sexual function team"
    "And what's that?!"
    "We work with people who can't have sex"
    And her reply?
    "OH F**K!!"

ascu75, AndyTake2 and Zou like this.
  14. LesleySM

My phone number used to be one digit away from the local Indian so I got loads of calls asking "Is this Roman Road tandoori?"
    And when I said "No you've got the wrong number" it was surprising how many people said "Are you sure?" in fact one insisted he had the right number until I pointed out I'd lived here for over 20 years so I think I might have noticed if there was a kitchen churning out Indian recipes in here...........

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I’ve also never forgotten one particular phone story. From about five or six years ago it started after I had a weird text message on my phone. "Gees who this is chief? Wigham!" There was a number, but being wary of getting caught out by scammers I ignored it. That week I had two missed calls from the same number, but no voicemail and I decided it was a bit dodgy and again, ignored it. Then one night my phone rang and without really thinking I picked up.

"Is that Gaz?"
    "No"
    "Is that Gaz?"
    "No"
    "Gaz Williams?"
    "NO! I think you have the wrong number."
    "There's nobody there by the name of Gaz Williams?"
    "No"
    "Sh*t. F*ck. Ah, f*ck it. Sh*t. Sorry hen."

He hung up.

Ten minutes later.

"Is Gaz there?"
    "No. I think you've still got the wrong number."

He quoted my telephone number at me.

"Well somebody's given you the wrong number because there's nobody here called Gaz."
    "Awww, I'm really terribly sorry hen. Really sorry. Sh*t f*ck sh*t. F*ck.”

mat this point I’m laughing hysterically but I hang up and forget about it until the next day.

"Hello?"
    "Gaz? Tha's no Gaz. You're that woman fae last night aren't ye hen?"
    "Errr, yes. Sorry."
    "No, I'm sorry. Sorry. Sh*t."

And then as I pulled the phone away from my ear ready to hang up I could hear him screech

"F*ckin' wumminn must think am a f*ckin' wee mad f*ckin' stalker... "

16. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I can't top these stories, but back in the 1970s, when I was working at telephone exchanges, we used to get odd calls on the night shift - the faults number was switched to the central exchange after hours. One frequent caller was an old lady who called just to have a chat, in the middle of the night.

AndyTake2 and Geren like this.
  17. Phil_N_Flash

Phil_N_Flash Well-Known Member

We used to get loads from a call centre in India - drove me daft, then I remembered an Indian lady who had befriended my wife at her work so I pretended I thought it was her. I'd say "Hello it's Sanguita isn't it? How are you? Are you still in Gurugram? Is Sanjay still butchering his patients in the hospital? Don't forget to tell him I'd asked! "What about Ravi and Reeta, are they both still at university? There'd be denials and protests at first then they'd get so cross they'd slam the phone down!

Haven't had an Indian scam call for months and months! It was lovely to wind them up and make them so furious!