1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A free Motorcycle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bipolar, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I put an add in the Kijiji buy and sell looking for a winter project motorcycle.
    Someone contacted me with a 2006 KLR650 that runs but has electrical issues.
    He wants it gone but hopes someone will save it from the junk yard.
    He will even deliver it if I want to take it. It has been parked for the last two years.

Adam dropped the KLR off at 10:00 this morning and we went to the insurance company to
    transfer it into my name. When I got home I rolled it into the back yard and sprayed it down
    with a strong cleaner and hosed a couple years of patina off it.
    It needs a fair bit of work alright. There is 26000 km on the odometer but it stopped working about 8000 km ago so 32000km.
    It had a rattle can paint job on most of the plastic and gas tank.
    The tank looks good inside and the petcock was turned off so the carburettor might not be too bad.
    The chain and sprockets are very worn out .
    It has new Dunlop D606 tires on it .
    There are a lot of zip ties holding parts on the bike.

Apparently it would blow a fuse when you tried to crank the starter you could push start it though.
    The owner replaced the starter solenoid but that did not help.
    Previously the wiring harness was replaced for other electrical gremlins. He said he was tired of spending money on it and parked it.

The first thing I am going to do is clean the carburettor and tank and change the oil and filter make
    sure there is coolant in it and get it running and take it from there. Worst case scenario I may
    have a good engine and lots of spare parts or a good cylinder head for a KLR that had
    a cam bearing failure. Rolling the bike in gear the engine has compression and I can hear
    the starter sprag clutch turning the starter.
    I'm a real sucker for punishment. But it will give me something to do when the weather turns
    cold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Mark101, Catriona, ascu75 and 5 others like this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Great project!

3. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Enjoy it o_O:)

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

If you think Japanese electrics are bad, back in the 70's Joe Lucas's was the 'Prince of darkness', Miller's the 'King', whilst Minarelli's were classed as significantly worse than either of these.

5. John King

John King Well-Known Member

With the Prince of Darkness, it wasn't the wiring, In the days when Lucas was 'King of the Road' wiring harnesses were a great deal simpler than they are now and were before the 1980's. I have completely rewired English bikes in the past by using the same colour coded cables that the original manufacturers used when the bikes were new. I even soldered all the snap connector 'bullets' or ring connectors which was better than the original crimped connectors. It was a lot cheaper than buying a new harness complete

No it was the failure of the components - switches, horns, dynamo's or alternators, magnetos and parts for the ignition circuits that gave Lucas their bad name. Badly made, and not weather proof nor very robust.:eek:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  6. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

The Zener diode for a voltage regulator was quite bizarre as well.

[​IMG]

7. John King

John King Well-Known Member

There was nothing wrong with the Zener Diode. Thoroughly reliable and was a necessity on bikes which had been upgraded to 12V. Quite simply done by joining two of the 3 output wires from the induction alternator together (I Forget which ones) and fitting a spade connector and clipping it on the top of the diode. The single remaining wire went to the securing bolt as the earth. 60-65W at 6V went up to 120-123w when it was 12V.. It was so so simple.

With both of my BMW's the wiring loom is so complex with multiple connectors used to get the power to all the points it needs to and involving a 450W a 3 phase alternator, the wires to the heated handlebar grips start off at 13.5V at the battery, but by the time the current reaches the grips, it is lucky if it is 10.5v Short of stripping everything down there is no way of rectifying it