1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A farmer's gaze.

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Having not taken a single landscape in the month of August (mojo gone/cant be bothered) thought I'd have a go at something candid at the local agricultural show.
    This pair of characters were showing some vintage tractors but the old fella on the left caught my eye. Really nice gentleman to talk to (I see him every year at the show but have never spoke with him until now) and very passionate about his vintage tractor. With hindsight I would have done a couple of things differently, like ask him to hang about his David Brown tractor looking cool for the ladies. :)
    Does it float anyone's boat?

[​IMG]

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not much for me. Tonality is nice as usual but tractor neither here nor there, and their poses don't hold interest for me. Sorry!

3. Helander

No worries Zou San, it's a learning process and was nice to try something different.

4. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

If you can crop him alone, He is the shot!

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree. He is the shot. He says it all and I think you saw that.
    Kate

6. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

agree with the others he's the image...

great tone & exposure on the photo though ! very nice

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I'm with the majority. The farmer is great, the rest doesn't measure up.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Around about here for me.

[​IMG]

9. Helander

Ok, cheers folks.
    I sort of knew the old guy on the left was the shot but couldn't get him on his own. The crop is good but ideally it would have been better had he been with his vintage tractor to give the picture context. You know, ye olde farmer with ye olde tractor was what I was after. On his own he's just an old fella in the boiler suit.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  10. cas100uk

cas100uk Well-Known Member

Shame to crop so much of the image but I think the above crop does make the most of the photo.

11. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

As above really. Well seen in that you spotted a great find in the farmer, as his face, attire and posture are great, but the right half of the shot doesn't help. Is there enough detail in the shot to crop in close and show it large? His face and the wrinkles on it are ace.

12. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else. Lose the guy in the shirt and tie and there's your shot.

i love the sharpness of his face and the texture of his skin. Other than a farmer he couldn't be anything else, could he.

13. Helander

Actually, there is. Looks fine cropped. Cheers

14. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Glad the quality holds up even with such a severe crop. Compared with the crop above I think I'd give him a little more space to look into.

Anyway, you'll have to ask him if you can do some portraits at next year's show!

15. luisport

Would it be feasable to trace this gentleman? Send him a fine copy of his portrait. Try to arrange a photo shoot in his farm ;) Do I sound crazy?
    Cheers,
    Luis

16. Helander

Will do Yebisu.

Do you sound crazy....possibly ;) but it's a great idea.
    Unfortunately he lives in Aviemore which isn't all that near to me but I can see him at next years show. Gives me time to get my technique sorted out and how to frame to shot better. :)

Here's how the shot has ended up. Cheers folks.

[​IMG]

The small file is a little soft, larger file here......http://www.flickr.com/photos/roksoff/9645316350/in/photostream/

17. cas100uk

cas100uk Well-Known Member

No need to contact him, now its a wow. Amazing detail from such a crop. When you are done with that lens, I will have it. Even just to hold it for a while...

18. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Cas. Now that's some glass alright! Can I ask what lens it is?

19. Helander

It's a Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, the big 24Mpixels sensor is helping here but the lens is superb VFM.
    I tried a Nikon 50mm 1.8D which costs 90 quid new. Didn't think it would be up to much but it's scary how good it is for the money. It feels cheap but for 90 quid what can you expect.

20. luisport

Send him a print anyways. I am sure he will appreciate it.