1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

A Crown Graphic Question

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Fishboy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I checked back - there was a post in May where I mentioned that I'd like a Speed Graphic. I now have three Graflex cameras!

The most recent - a 5x4 Pacemaker Crown Graphic (from the serial number it's a 1949 model) - has got me a little flummoxed.

I've got the measure of most of the functions, but the bit that's got me stumped at the moment is the solenoid.

Apart from the shutter release on the side of the case, the solenoid is obviously designed to fire the shutter as well - an electric current activates an electro-magnet which pulls the plunger on the solenoid down...and voila!

Since nothing on the camera is electrical the current must come from the flash bracket, which is the usual 3 cell jobbie.

So, the questions:

1. I've got a cable which pugs into the solenoid - the other end plugs into the flash bracket. Am I correct in assuming that this plugs into the hole marked 'solenoid' to fire the shutter? The sockets that will accept the other end of this cable are labelled 'extension', 'shutter', 'battery', 'remote' and 'solenoid'

2. With the flash bracket fitted, the button at the top is in (for me) the right position to use the camera - is it possible to use this as a shutter release without having a flash bulb fitted?

3. I know that modern electrical flashes use capacitors - is it the same for bulb flashes? What I'm getting at is that I'd like to fire the shutter from the button on the flash bracket via the solenoid, but ideally I'd like to do so without sending a large jolt of electricity through any part of my body that happens to be in the way.

4..Finally, there's a big red button at the top of the flash bracket at the back which I assume (if everything's in the right hole!) fires the flash and the shutter. Above that button is a small setting dial with positions marked 'N', '1' and '2' - what does this do?

I know that I could buy myself some suitably-sized batteries and just have a mess about but I really don't want to break anything if I can possibly avoid it!

I'd be grateful for any answers that you can provide.

Cheers, Jeff