1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Canonflex RP, did you say?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by John Farrell, Jun 11, 2022.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

IMG_3019s.jpg

I bought this online, from a shop in Christchurch - which claims to be the last real camera shop in New Zealand. It's certainly one of very few selling used film cameras. I paid the equivalent of around 75 pounds. The slow speeds are sluggish - normal for 60 year old cameras, but the glass is clean. It's a heavy camera, but I was surprised to find that my Canon FT with f1.8 lens is a few grams heavier. Out of curiosity I weighed my Canon 60D (with a Tamron f2.8 zoom lens). That is nearly 400 grams heavier than the RP!

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned the original RP! :D

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nice camera, the RP. Well, and the RP, for that matter.....

The Canonflex R2000 with suitable accessories remains on my bucket list.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The "R" series have always fascinated me for the manner in which they so nearly got it right.

I think that, if Nikon hadn't brought out the "F" at the same time, the history of photography might have been quite different. As it was, Canon recovered very well with the FP and its siblings, most especially the FT-QL.