1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

80-400vr

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Nig, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Why does this £1900 lens suffer from dust specks when my 9 year old, £350, 70-300vr does not have any,even though it's well used. What is the difference between them?.
    Nig.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The 80-400 VR is rather bigger than your 70-300 VR and thus draws in considerably more air when zooming, consequently it also draws in considerably more dust. Lens "breathing" is inevitable with zooms so completely preventing dust is almost impossible. Why doesn't your 70-300 have any? It probably gathers somewhere other than on the internal glass elements so you don't see it but it is almost certainly there.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I assume you mean within the lens. It happens, they cannot be totally sealed, air is drawn in and out with use, air contains dust, some gets left behind. It has utterly no effect on results anyway. Perhaps this lens draws more air in and out, don't worry about it.

4. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Early Oly E series cameras had sticky pads in the body to collect any circulating dust. Perhaps it would be fair to ask why a £1,900 lens is not similarly equipped

Learning likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Apples and Pears. All sorts can get inside an interchangeable lens camera when the lens is disconnected. I suspect that a telephoto lens that physically extends to change focal length will breathe through a fine brush seal, and that that seal makes an effective filter.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

But the OP is complaining that it doesn't make an effective filter

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

In theory, Nig, you're correct, because, in theory, the 80-400 should be weather proofed although I couldn't find any proof via Nikon UK :eek: , Also, if you're
    80-400 is still under warranty, I would say that having it cleaned by Nikon UK would be a good idea :). If, however, it is out of the warranty period, the
    one question I have is: have the dust specks had any effect on your photos? If not and if it were me, I'd say "c'est la vie" and continue shooting :) .... but,
    that's just me and, truth be told, I'm, sometimes, a bit too laissez faire ;)

Hope it gets resolved.

Cheers,

jack

8. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

I'm interested to know why you think this is a problem?

The further forward (away from the camera) the less of a "problem" - closer to the camera and large muck can soften areas of the image. If the muck is really visible at the rear of the lens, you may see this on the images...but also, possibly not...just a softer area.

The aperture is also a contributing factor - smaller apertures tend to show "dust" or muck much better than wide open...

So, are you worried because you see a few specks of dust on the front of the lens, or is it really deep Inside?

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am sure that I don't need to tell you that many a lens has a rear element that protrudes at some focal lengths/focused distances and is well inside the barrel at others. I am at a loss to see how one would provide an effective filter in such circumstances.

As it happens, most lenses breath through the camera body as the big hole at the back is open to the mirror box, in the case of an SLR, so a deliberate breathing aperture in the body, with an effective filter may well be the best solution. Better to know where the air is coming from, and control it, than not.