1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7D Question

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by MickLL, Feb 16, 2005.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I have been looking at DPReview for the first (and probably the last) time.

Lots of people are talking about sending back their 7D because of 'backfocus' problems.

Backfocus is a term I've never heard before and despite looking on the DPR forum I couldn't really work out what it meant.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

MickLL

2. sey

sey Well-Known Member

It must be all those arse about face DPR surfers, Mick.

How are you?

Seymour - when the wind blows!

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

I'm fine thanks. Been horrendously busy with (voluntary) work and the unfortunate death of a close friend. I also went away for a couple of days to find nearly 300 posts in the lounge!. No way can I keep up with that lot.

How's Ranaana? I often think of my visits and the weird (third degree on EXIT) security at the airport. I suppose there must be a reason.

MickLL

4. sey

sey Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your friend, Mick.

Raanana's fine, tho unusually cold & wet.

Yeh well, didn't want you hi-jacking the plane & dropping it on my head!

Seymour - when the wind blows!

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

"Back focus" refers to the camera focusing beyond the selectected focus point so that the precise point of focus is slightly behind (to the back of) the selected focus point. My 10D has a tendancy to "front focus" ever so slightly on some subjects and it's a known fault so I wouldn't worry unduly about the Minolta's problem as it is only really a "problem" at very shallow depths of field...............when you can always manually focus anyway.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

6. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Thanks Will,

All the folk that I was referring to seemed to be sending their cameras back to Minolta. K-M seemed happy to fix them under warranty so I did wonder about the severity of the fault.

Next dumb question: I have never heard of a film camera front or back focussing and I don't see what difference being digital makes to the focussing system (hope you understand that - I've been at the 'juice'!). So why should DSLR's focus differently from film ones.

MickLL

PS I also learned that K-M have already released a 'firmware' upgrade.

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Mick,

The firmware is avalable from http://www.konicaminoltaeurope.com/ just click on software for digital cameras, IIRC the firmware is to improve write speed to CFcards along with a number of other minor issues, the focussing prob won't be fixed by firmware

<font color=blue>Ron CRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: 7D Question //mick

Morning Mick,

FWIW, we have sold several of the 7D's and have had no problems with any focussing issues.

Also, regarding DPReview and there "tendency" towards problems: A few years back there was a huge issue with Canon G2's having 'cracks' develop on the body and most of the people who had the problems or followed up with a 'problem' were from the USA. But, I never encounterd a single issue with all the G2's that I sold or saw and, most importantly, with my G2 and if anyone should have had a cracked G2, it should have been me/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

So, all in all, I always take everything I read in DPReview with the whole bag of salt/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif.

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

9. BigWill

To answer Mick's question..................there is no difference in the way digital SLR's and film SLR's autofocus. They all use phase detection. Quite why these "front" and "back" focusing issues should have arisen in DSLR's is a bit of a mystery then. I suspect Jack's explanation may well play a big part in it although I also suspect that the inherent "softness" of digital, focusing point selection issues and the necessity to use top quality glass to get the "best" performance out of the camera may also play a part in it.

BigWill

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I have never heard of a film camera front or back focussing and I don't see what difference being digital makes to the focussing system...

From what I've read about back focus it can happen with film cameras too....... I suspect that in this case that by the time the film comes back from the developer most people have forgotten where they intended to focus or assume they accidentally set the wrong focus point or were using the all the focus points and the camera picked the wrong one. Of course with a digicam if you download the pix to your PC as soon as you get home you'll probably remember where you intended to focus and so are instantly aware that something's not quite right.

As far as I know the AF systems in digital and film cameras are usually the same. Of course KM could have developed a new system and fitted it to the D7D and are now finding a few bugs, either that or there's a bit of a QC issue...

Nigel NRIPN

<a href="http://nigelhhayes.fotopic.net/c35346.html" >ElSid Gallery<A>

11. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Or it's people running "tests" who do not know what they are doing

Chris

[​IMG]

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I've been having a thunk about this issue, and I remembered that there was one point when I was having a play with the D7D the other week that it had difficulty focusing at one point and appeared to be focusing on a point behind my preferred point, what I discovered was wrong is that the owner had not locked the AF focus select toggle to the normal (ok my normal preferred) central AF selector, this selector also doubles up as the image viewing selection control, so in some instances those new users who haven't previously used/owned the film Dynax 7 may be inadvertently be moving focus points without realising it which could explain some of the problems being encountered.

<font color=blue>Ron CRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

13. BigWill

Indeed Ron. "Operator error" could well be a significant factor in these "focusing problems".

BigWill

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I find that using the "centre focus point" generally gives me the most accurate focussing......along with not having it is the 'sports mode'/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Very likely..........the centre AF point is more sensitive as a rule than the outer ones. Usually I leave my cameras set to the centre point and recompose unless I reckon there's likey to be an exposure issue. I try never to leave the camera to select the AF point as this often seems to disagree with yours truly about what actually constitutes the subject.

Another problem with the outer points generally is that they only work properly with vertical or near vertical contrast lines. I suspect that if the subject doesn't contain such a line but the back- or foreground does then the camera may well focus on that point rather than the subject.

Of course a lot of these "faults" can probably be attributed to people with no comprehension of what they are doing buying a camera they can't therefore handle and blaming said camera when it all goes to ratshit. It also doesn't help that the marketing men tend to imply that buying a digi-box will instantly turn you into David Bailey or similar but without the learning process...........

Incidentally if you look at last week's AP letters page there's a letter there which I think is a fine example of the above phenomenon.........

Nigel NRIPN

<a href="http://nigelhhayes.fotopic.net/c35346.html" >ElSid Gallery<A>

16. Red_Snapper

Red_Snapper New Member

I have just bought a 7D and it definitely focuses further back than the point I am trying to focus on. Having spoken to Konica-Minolta they have told me it is a known problem and is due to the focusing censor being incorrectly aligned. Nothing to do with my lack of comprehension or delusions of being Im David Bailey. :cool: