1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7D and External Flash

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by PRH, Sep 5, 2005.

1. PRH

PRH Well-Known Member

Morning all.

After purchasing my 7D on Friday I am pleased to say that all my existing lenses from my 500si fit and work even the Sigma 70-300!

The question I have is that for the 500si I had a Cobra independant flash gun.

Although the 7D fires this gun when connected to the hotshoe, it does not appear to set the correct shutter speed for flash photography.

Does anyone know whether if I manually set the camera to 1/125 will the camera meter the exposure correctly?

Or is it a case of trail and error to see what the exposures look like?

Thanks

PRH

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

You're lucky........my D30 doesn't even recognise the existence of my Cobra flashgun let alone fire it.....even at the wrong shutter speed....... :(

Digital cameras use a different method of TTL flash control to film cameras so guns designed for film don't work properly. This is down to the fact that sensors are much shinier than film and normal off-the-film flash control can't be used.

You should be able to set the camera to 1/125, or lower, in manual or Shutter Priority and get proper synchronisation. You'll then probably have to work out the required aperture the old fashioned way using the guide number and subject distance. The good thing is with it being digital you can see immediately whether you got it right and retake if required.

If you want full auto-flash control then you're going to have to bash the credit card again.........

3. PRH

PRH Well-Known Member

Thanks El Sid.

Think the credit card will have to get a bashing on a few other "add ons" like power supply, remote release and software (probably Adobe Elements 3) before I go for a digitial compatable flash gun.

Has anyone bought Elements 3 on line? It appears to be cheaper to buy from the USA rather than the UK web site??

PRH

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If you want a decent bit of software without paying at all then take a look at The GIMP for image editing and Raw Shooter Essentials for RAW file conversion.

The only downside with GIMP is that the current version is 8bit/channel only while Elements3 has a lot of 16bit control.

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I had a Cobra 700AF for my Dynax 600Si and found that unless you got every setting absolutely spot on it was a Pain In The A** to get proper exposures and sometimes even when you thought you had it right it still let me down, so I relented and got myself a 5600 HSD, which went quite nicely with the Film 7 and fortuitously it it works wonderfully with the 7D See Example Here
    I'd suggest you try different settings between the flash and the camera in manual mode until you get usable results such as try setting to ISO 200 and sync speed of 1/90th and as Nigel says try and calculate the appropriate f/ number, Oh and check in the 7Ds menu to make sure that you have Flash metering set to TTL average and neither ADI or TTL-4 segment as this will create problems, as the Cobra unit is basic TTL capability only.

6. PRH

PRH Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the comments, very helpful.

Would love to get the 5600HSD but have other things on the shopping list before I could justify such an outlay - wife's birthday present for one.

And before anyone suggests, no she doesn't want a 5600HSD flashgun for her birthday! She's made that quite clear.

Regards

PRH

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Boos all round................. :D

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

OK, if she doesn't want a 5600 HSD then she's really got to have either a 3600 HSD or 2500 D, no modern digital girl should be without one ;)

9. PRH

PRH Well-Known Member

Ron, my Cobra is a 700AF and seems to work but I have not yet tested it fully so like you I guess I will find the results hit and miss.

PRH

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I gave up on my Cobra 700AF long before I got the 7D, even before I got the film 7, from all that I had read it became apparent that the best results using flash were to be gained from using a dedicated Minolta flash, and from the results using it, it is true. In fact I got myself a back-up 3500xi gun, for use on my 600Si or the film 7 or to use wirelessly with the 5600 (not tried that out yet) will need to create an opperchancity.
    But from all personal observations the combination of 7D, 5600 HSD and an appropriate D lens will give outstanding results as the link above shows, the shot of the farrier at the Royal Highland Show, in all likelihood would have been the only decent shot taken. There were others there with their compact film and digis and the built in flashes going but I doubt there was a decent shot amongst them. It does seem that the adage "get the best you can afford" does indeed hold true, the better the tool the easier the job becomes.
    If the missus definitely doesn't want a 5600 HSD then I suppose you should get her something she wants, say an Iron or Food Processor. OK, I'll get my coat, I know where the cave is ;)

11. Dave_F

Dave_F New Member

Why not get a computer flash set the camera to
    manual. Shutter as meter, apeture the same on camers and flash no more problems.I have used this method for years on med format 35mm and now digital