1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

645 camera . . but which one?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by robbybobby, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So were mine for years, and I always thought the ETR series was better - until I found my M645 at a bargain price. For my use (principally landscapes, but also some occasional portraits), the spec differences are unimportant - I can't actually remember when I last used fill-in with medium format, for example, and I only ever shoot Velvia or Portra 160NC/VC in it. I should really use it more!

Nick BSRIPN

2. robbybobby

robbybobby Well-Known Member

What do you reckon to the lenses, eg. in comparison to a Velvia tranny on the 124g stopped down (eg. f/8 or 11)?

Rob CRIPN

If something's not worth doing, it's worth forgetting about.

3. Col. Hogan

Col. Hogan Well-Known Member

Are you looking for something that will allow you to change film mid-roll? I used to have a Mamiya M645 with a couple of lenses and a couple of film inserts. I don't have any experience with the Bronica, but the M645 was a good camera.

Diane

4. robbybobby

I'm actually considering updating my 35mm kit now instead, but thanks for replying. I also am beginning to think that the 645 format is a little small and I think my next MF camera will be at least 6x6cm, probably 6x7cm (if I can afford!). That's assuming I don't jump the gap and head straight into LF again.

Rob CRIPN

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The lenses are very good indeed, and I've just got the older, less highly rated ones - their edge performance will beat the Yashi, I would think - certainly better than the Yessar and Xenar. Add to that the fact that my Mamiya lenses are 55mm and 210mm, and the other lenses I use are a 30mm fisheye and 80mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar (a version of the lens once fitted to the Rolleiflex 2.8), and I'm more than happy with optical quality.

Nick BSRIPN

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

How often do you print square? I thought 645 was too small, but actually, it's a size I often crop down to. I would like 6x7, but which?
    As an aside, I've another 645 camera - my Rolleiflex T with 16-on kit!

Nick BSRIPN

7. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

If it is simply a wide angle approach you want...

then think about the Fuji 645WA. I know it is a fixed lens but it is a cracking 50mm. Rangefinder and therefore light in weight for your climbing trips and rather reasonably priced S/H at the mpment

Cohen the Kosher cock[​IMG]

8. robbybobby

I've only printed one 120 neg so far in the darkroom (I've only had 3 sessions in there in total, mostly 35mm), and I did crop that so it fitted a 10x8 paper, but when I scan the negs into the PC, I always print them out square and chop off the excess paper. I like the square format, I think it has a lot more going for it than the rectangular one, although 6x7cm is a very close contender.

Rob CRIPN

9. robbybobby

Re: If it is simply a wide angle approach you want...

May well do, Peter, I've been hankering after a Fuji MF rangefinder for ages (actually fancied the 690GSW myself), but I don't have much money at the moment. Start my new job next w/e so then I should have a little more spare.

Rob CRIPN