1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

41MP ... in a Smart Phone Camera???

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by Rupert49, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

TV ads for the new Nokia Lumia 1020 have been shown recently (if you're not up with it yet, here's an article from The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/07/nokia-lumia-1020-review-41-megapixel-camera ).

We all know by now that it's not the number of pixels that produce image quality, but the size, spacing and angle of the photosites. How on earth can a 41MP camera this small have a sensor that could possibly contain enough usable photosites? Presumably gullible snappers will go for it because it's the latest thing, but no serious photographer could expect much from it, surely?

And while we're on the subject of camera phones .. how many files can be stored in these little devices? Presumably the 101 'apps' that everyone has take up quite a bit of memory. Do camera phone snappers ever download and post-process their images, or do they just keep them in there to show friends, until the memory is full and they have to delete some?

2. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

AP news report here, I believe that it has been reviewed and will try to find that report.

Win one here courtesy of AP and report back ;)

m

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

If I win one I will

4. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Obviously I can only speak for myself. But I have a little utility called iCloud that synchronises the pictures on my phone on my PC in a specified folder.

I tend to delete the older ones from the phone and have about 500 images currently stored on the phone.

However I also use my phone/Tablet to carry round my portfolio on it

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

This sensor has previously been about in the Nokia Pureview 808 so it has already withstood one generation without the critics pushing it out of production. The main function of the sensor as far as I have heard is taking digital-zoom to its logical conclusion, and it can also group pixels to provide better low light performance.

I can see why they've done it, and with digital there are all sorts of software tricks built in working away to save as much detail as possible so it'll be purely down to the market as to if this one flys or not.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

'Grouping' pixels not only allows noise control and easy digital zoom but also reduces some artefacts of demosaicing. Excess pixels is not the foolishness that many of us, myself included, thought was very silly.

7. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

It seems a bit overkill to those of us with similar counts on our full-frame and medium-format digitals but I think it's a combination of factors. At first I too thought I would go into a rant until I had a think about it.

The first thing is that marketing obviously love the numbers game, it makes the punters easier to persuade if they have one number bigger than another. Another point might be that after all that R&D into designing them, they have to shift them. Thirdly if the price-point on buying millions of 41MBP sensors might be cheaper for Nokia than stock of other sized sensors, then they're not going to waste money. Fourth, Nokia have been having a rough time of it lately, getting trounced by the likes of Apple, Samsung and HTC, and that rather sour deal with Microsoft, they need to make a big splash to get the punters back through the door again.

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

9. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

In the Android camp, I use Google+ to sync my photos that I take on my phone to 'the cloud', which then makes them visible to my PC/tablet. I've also dabbled with Dropbox syncing, but don't use that at the moment because I find the Google integrated approach is more 'set and forget' :)

I've also probably printed more shots from my phone this year than from my camera - it's so convenient and I've caught a load of family 'snaps' that I wouldn't have if I relied on having a camera with me - I can edit them on the phone, and send them to my printer via the internet so that there's a 7x5 waiting for me when I get home.

I wouldn't be swayed by 41mp in terms of sheer image size, but AIUI Nokia have done some impressive stuff around noise reduction. I'd be very interested in a cellphone camera that handled low light well, even if it was 'only' 3mp...

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

So what are Lumia images like when you have scaled them back to 3MP? I'll tell you in the extremely unlikely event that I should win one.

11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Well let's face it, I'm guessing with the amount of money mobile phones generate, and the investors behind them being far greater than that which camera manufacturers can muster, the R&D money put into these chips, may well eventually trickle down to digital cameras. But, based on how long it's taken for WiFi to be incorporated into digital cameras, we might be waiting quite a while!

12. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

41 megapixels.............with a lens the size of a pinhead which then proceeds to get scratched, covered in fluff, dust and god knows whatever other assorted detritus that happens to be lurking in the darkest recesses of your pocket/handbag etc.................yep, that seems to be a good idea...............NOT! ;)

Big(Unconvinced!)Will

13. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Starts off with some incorrect facts* and then reads like an advert.

*smartphone photography did not start with the iPhone because Apple were late to the game....there were several HTC, Nokia, Motorola and Sony-Ericson smartphones before that (and probably more I never got my grubby hands on).

15. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

I agree it reads like an advert, but to be fair it doesn't say smartphone photography started with the iPhone - it says the 'trend' started with the iPhone as it became the most used camera on Flickr:

16. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I was with my cousin the other evening who has one of these. We were playing with the camera indoors in very poor light and I was astonished at the quality of the images. BY pixel dumping down to a ~20mp file there was a very good level of noise, even zoomed right into shadow areas.

If the camera in it was my main selection point fora smart phone this would have to be the one to buy

17. johnsonscott

johnsonscott In the Stop Bath

yeah one smrat phone is realesed nokia lumia1020 its a windows set and its camera is 21 megapixels with alos zoom lense and its very excellent............. i should do advice to take this...........

18. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

You should slow down Dani (Johnson), your spelling/grammar is starting to suffer.

I'm rather fond of tinned spiced pork. You?