1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

40d vs 50d?

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by KierFX, Sep 9, 2016.

1. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

I have £260 to buy another DSLR and a lens,and a CF card. Tight budget I know but I think its possible. I can either buy a Canon 40D for £130 and then have £130 to buy the lens etc or £199 for a 50d and then buy a Yongnuo 50mm f/1.9; I've had one of these lens before and am happy with the quality. Is the 40D too outdated now? Is there a massive difference between the 40D and 50d?

thanks.
    kier

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

40d for me

MJB likes this.
  3. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

Any reason why? I'm going to be doing big prints at college so I think the added 5.2mp might be worth it

4. Bazarchie

Depends how big you need the prints. I had a 40D, which is now with my daughter, and was very pleased with the results so I have a soft spot for it. I have not
    owned a 50D but internet chatter suggests many preferred the 40D. Can you try before you buy?

5. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

I dont know how big yet. I am unable to try before I buy - The only differences i can see between the two is ISO perfomance and megapixels. I cant decide but need to decide by tonight

6. Bazarchie

See what is available tomorrow and get the best you can get in terms of quality and shutter count. Probably not much difference between the two. I was always told lens quality was more important than bodies, within reason.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

HI Kier,

FWIW, I checked LCE and there aren't any 50D's (used) there :eek: … but there are a few 40D's, a 30D and a couple of 20D's, with the
    latter, whilst not having huge MP's, was a great camera :) see the LCE list below:

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...Type=Digital+SLR+Cameras&Location=&Results=48

As well, they have a number of EF 50/1.8 lenses (used) for £60 … see the list (5 pages) below :)

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...n&SHModel=&SHType=Lenses&Location=&Results=48

OOC, are you going for the 40/50D bodies due to there ruggedness over the Rebel -- whoops 350D/400D/500D, etc … -- series of cameras?

Cheers,

Jack

8. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

Ended up buying a Canon 40d and a Sigma 18-50 2.8 for £230 in total, great upgrade over my 1100d + canon 18-55mm. Yeah I went for the 40d due to its ruggedness. My 1100d was built of terrible plastic.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  9. Bazarchie

Enjoy!

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Seems pretty fair, a good copy of the Sigma is a worthy performer, just try not to give these a bath!

11. Done_rundleCams

Seems like a pretty skookum deal, Kier :) Look forward to seeing some pics.

Cheers and good shooting.

Jack

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

At the time the 40D was a massive step forward, the steps were more incremental after that. I still have mine, and will probably never buy another Dslr. Even the noise at higher iso setting can be improved in newer versions of raw processors, than were available when it came out.
    It is very much a classic camera.

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Like Terry I'm still using my 40D and TBH until the recent 80D launch hadn't really been tempted by a new model - it's that good a camera.

I also have a 1000D which I imagine is not radically different to the 1100D and don't find the build quality all that bad. Granted it doesn't feel as robust as the 40D but it doesn't feel flimsy either.

14. Done_rundleCams

Don't tell me, Nigel, you've done away with your D30 :eek: …. now, contrary to Terry's post about the 40D being a classic, the D30
    is a classic :D

Cheers,

Jack

15. Done_rundleCams

I daresay, Terry, that Nigel (El Sid) has a classicer camera than your 40D :eek: I speak of his Canon D30 ;)

Cheers,

Jack

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Hardly - despite it's digitally prehistoric nature I love it to bits... Definitely a classic too, I reckon it should be valid for the Relic Challenge thread in the Exhibition Lounge...:cool:

17. Done_rundleCams

Well, d@mn, if you reckon your D30 is worthy of the Relic Challenge, I imagine that my Ashaiflex IIb should have a chance ;) Of course, now, I just have to
    process my negs, get them scanned if there's anything worth scanning :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

18. JennyTog

JennyTog Member

I can't speak for the 50D, but I started digital with a 40D and I love it.

It doesn't come with wifi, gps or touch screen and it doesn't even make tea or butter my toast. But, it does take really nice stills with a decent piece of glass.

I went for the 40D as it's the first one to have the sensor cleaning and it's the reason I wouldn't recommend getting anything older.

What is going to further determine your image quality is a decent lens.

(I now use a couple of 5D2's and I use/d the 40D with L series lenses.)

19. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I boughht the 17 -55 f2.8 with mine and though not sealed like L glass in every other way takes as sharp clean images.

Done_rundleCams and JennyTog like this.
  20. JennyTog

JennyTog Member

Glad you're happy with the combo. Nice focal length for the 40D :)