1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

39mm filters for a camera lens

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Leonila, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Leonila

Leonila Member

Does anyone know any good sources/strategies for buying quality 39mm filters for a camera lens? I am amazed how few show up on ebay and how expensive they are...

2. manxman2

manxman2 Well-Known Member

Try SRB Photographic - they are very good - they advertise in AP and have a website.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

They are bought up by Leica & Voigtlander lens users.

Robert White: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/filters/screw-on-filters.html?lens_filter_thread=226

Strangely, RW had more listed a few weeks ago. Are they closing down? perhaps there's a world shortage.

You could also try:
    CalPhoto
    Dale
    Ffordes
    RedDot
    RG Lewis
    SRB Griturn
    Teamwork

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

The reason for the price is probably that Leica is the company most likely to use 39mm for filters. Leica users might see £50 for a filter as fair, given the company's catalogue prices.

Hoya 39mm can be found for around £15, if you look hard and there are far east sellers on eBay with prices as low as £7; can't advise you on the quality, though.

5. Leonila

Leonila Member

I realize they are mostly used for leica lenses, but the funny thing is that used leica gear is quite abundant (even if not cheap), while filters are not...

6. 0lybacker

7. Leonila

Leonila Member

Thanks for suggestions! Are there any old Soviet filters that would not be too crappy? There was some decent optics...

8. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Try Premier Inks, don't be put off by the name they sell all sorts of photographic gear, and thats where I bought my small filter from......

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Ffordes list quite a lot, mostly new, but they are showing a few used at relatively low prices. www.ffordes.com

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

11. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Yes, yes and, of course, yes.

:D

12. 0lybacker

I would suggest west instead of east: Vivitar branded filters had a good reputation and there were some other 'retailer' brands ... but ... I'm not sure they were plentiful in 39mm, if made at all. The boom in filter selling tended to coincide with the boom in selling of cameras with 49mm, 52mm & 55mm filter threads.

13. John Tarrant

John Tarrant Active Member

Well 39mm filters are one thing, but try finding Rolleiflex bayonet filters and hoods at low prices! In "the old days" filters and hoods for most lens types became available relatively cheaply, but over the last few years (perhaps due to the rising interest in analogue photography) colour filter prices seem to have rocketed. By y good fortune I had a few 46mm filters tucked away in a forgotten drawer and was able to purchase a stepping ring or two for my 39mm filter thread lenses (Jack the Hat photo supplies seem to be the place for such items). So my 39mm problem is eased, but I guess that the Rolleiflex situation is just going to be expensive!

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The kind of thing you used to find in the rummage box (remember them) in camera shops (remember them) at small change prices (remember them). Now it's chancers on Ebay asking crazy prices for items that don't really have much value.

15. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

16. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Several years ago I bought a Fujifilm FinePix X10 compact camera. I wanted a protective filter, the camera had a 40mm thread, and I couldn’t find that size of filter on sale in the UK. I don’t know what Fuji were thinking of, but it certainly wasn’t customer convenience! I did find a stepping ring to 49mm on offer, but I wanted the camera to fit in a jacket pocket when it wasn’t convenient, or didn’t seem worthwhile, taking my DSLR outfit, so I didn’t want to enlarge the X10 with a stepping ring and oversize filter. Fortunately SRB Photographic (mentioned above in the 2015 discussion) machined a 40.5mm filter down to fit, for what seemed a very reasonable price.

When I bought the X10 there were no compact cameras available which showed the position of the autofocus point in the viewfinder. Since then compacts with EVFs showing what you’re focusing on have become commonplace, and I’ve traded the X10 in for a Panasonic LX100, which, fortunately, takes a readily available 43mm protective filter.

Chris