1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35mm slide and album scanning.

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by BJM, Jan 26, 2017.

1. BJM

BJM New Member

I am looking into scanning my collection of slides and family albums so that they may be stored (and copied) on DVDs enabling them to be viewed on the TV as opposed to digging out the projector.

I have past experience of scanning small numbers using a flatbed scanner - but it was interminably slow and a very labour intensive process. I am not in the market for the top end equipment that load slides from a magazine, but I have seen scanners at the high end of the amateur range that have the ability to scan batches of slides at a time and might therefore be a possibility.

One such scanner that has been well reviewed is the Epson Perfection V850 Pro, but the website states that it is not 'approved' for Kodachrome! My slides consist of a number of makes including Agfa, Perutz and Kodachrome - so I am looking for anyone with experience of this or similar scanners who may be able to advise what the issues are - and if indeed these scanners do handle Kodachrome.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome, as in most respects this scanner looks like it would do an excellent job even though it is a bit pricey. I am really hoping at this price to find something that will handle all of the various formats I have - including some large format negatives.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Going off at a bit of a tangent, this article on alternative ways of digitising slides might be helpful: http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html. It saved me a lot of money because I found a suitable copier for £10 and pugged it on my Canon 5D. I use a LED cine light which I already had and the quality is a little better than I expected.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There was a thread a couple of weeks back about scanning mounted slides - that mentioned some scanners I think and different film types. Can't remember where - here or in computer help maybe.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've recently completed the digitising of my late mother's collection of 2,500+ slides - mainly Agfacolour and Kodachrome. I've used a variety of methods both scanning and the use of a traditional slide copier, and for my purposes, what's been best has varied depending on the thickness of the slide holders. Modern slides are much thinner than many of the slides in the collection which date from 1959, and some of the earlier and thicker slides were too thick for some of the slide holders. I've used both an Epson 4870 PHOTO flatbed scanner, as well as a Nikon Coolscan V ED. I used a Canon 5D MkII when slide-copying seemed best - and this was probably the quickest. 100+ slides digitised in an evening.
    I was mainly aiming at producing a visual index to the collection, and always knew that if a particular slide merited the best quality of scan, then I could treat it individually if necessary.
    I've used both Epson Scan software, and Ed Hamrick's Vuescan. My major problem was when I moved from WinXP to Win10, but Epson's latest Scan software works without problem.

(The reference to Kodachrome in posting #1 may be connected with the use of Silverfast software which can have problems with Kodachrome slides. See http://www.silverfast.com/highlights/kodachrome/en.html for more info.)

5. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I am using an ancient Epson V500 and recently I scanned over 200 Kodachrome slides for a friend and put them on a memory stick so he could see them on his computer. I had absolutely no problem with the scanning whatsoever. It was the quality of the slides that gave me a headache. If anyone tells you that Kodachrome doesn't fade - then tell them to come and speak to me!
    To be honest you don't need the top end Epson scanner to scan slides for TV viewing, the successor to my V500, the V600 is more than adequate. The only downside is you can only batch scan 4 at once whereas the V800 can do (I think) 8

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

OK, where do you live?:)

I found some Kodachromes I took some 40 years or so ago and they don't appear to have faded, even some my father took of me as a small child still look remarkably good. Perhaps those you had to scan had been overexposed. I have had no real difficulty scanning 35mm Kodachromes using a Nikon Coolscan with Vuescan.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I remember this being discussed many years ago - don't Kodachromes benefit from being stored in the dark? Those I'm scanning at the moment certainly have decent blacks.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Kodachrome scans perfectly easily, BUT it causes problems for scanners with IR-based dust detection systems. Biggest problem is that colours of Kodachrome, especially greens, we're crap to start with.
    The contrast range of Velvia can be beyond most scanners, though.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

All exposed and processed photographic materials benefit from being stored in the dark. No dye is 100% light resistant.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Your scanner has almost certainly got the option 'restore colour' . Try clicking on that to see if it helps.

Lynn

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It will make probably things worse with Kodachrome...