1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35mm sharpness

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by chrisg, Sep 14, 2001.

1. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Perks, without going into a flame wars. I find your argument a bafflement. I quote "You're talking crap, Steve. I share your general opinion, in fact - " What exatly do you mean. Either you disagree "You're talking crap, Steve." or you agree "I share your general opinion, in fact - ".

As for your statement "A percentage of the price of a Nikon - no matter which model - is in the 'name'." making out that you are a fool to purchase Nikon, this contradicts your previouse point that one must have street cred.

Steve C Thompson IRIPN

2. Glenn Harper

Glenn Harper Well-Known Member

The well worn amateur/pro analogies don't really matter a hoot.

The fact is that Chris could take shots on an F60 and a 300mm f4 lens of a quality to compete professionally. In terms of image quality, we all know that the lens is the business end of any set up. On the other hand, a few knocks or extreme conditions might tell on a cheaper camera body, and a lesser spec camera can cost pictures.

Some of the points raised are true. Wildlife photography for anyone with aspirations (me once) is a very difficult field to break into. It really requires full time dedication and considerable financial investment. That's without mentioning considerable naturalist knowledge and research. Some areas, such as macro photography, are at least financially more viable for an amateur, but move into mammal and bird photography and suddenly you're in competition with 500mm f4.5 or 600mm f4 lenses. Heather Angel moved into photography from being a marine biologist, whereas one or two others bought there way in having made their money elsewhere.

But there is no harm in following the example of pro's. It's good practice to shoot the slowest film that conditions allow, and with the lens that Chris has he'll often get away with a 100 ISO film. He could even buy Velvia and push that one stop if neccessary. Add some Provia 400F (which I suspect could also be pushed at least one stop) and he's completely covered with two films.

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Indeed! Fuji in fact claim that Provia 400 can be pushed to 1600. Its one reason they have discontinued MS 100/1000.

Get out and get shooting!!

4. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

The 'crap' bit, Steve, is your remark 'who gives a toss what they look like or what camera they use' - the rest I 'generally' agreed with. The fact is that most amateurs DO 'give a toss'- particularly about which camera they use - and that's why so many 'emotive' Nikon v. Canon v. Leica feuds develop - even within this forum. The fact that the Nikon name accounts for a percentage of the purchase price is well recognised throughout the industry, as is that of Canon and any other reputable, established manufacturer. But that doesn't necessarily make Nikon or any other 'famous name' a 'bad buy'. The opposite in fact, perhaps, because anything Nikon or other famous-name badged has a reputation to live up to.

Any accusation of 'flaming' must lie firmly with yourself, Steve, for your wholly unjustified accusation that I was sounding like an equipment snob - or words to that effect. I just couldn't afford to be, for one thing !

Frankly, I think you're looking for an argument that's just not there - so why not go grind your well-worn axe somewhere else ?

perks

5. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Perco, If you had explained yourself and your comment better in your first post, I would not have reply'd as I did.

I agree with you on the snob bit. The arguments Nixon, Canon and Lieca in this forum are infamous. But I think this is more due to friendly banter and the personalities that own the said brands.

So I accept your revised coments. And as most people who know me , know that far from driving an ax into someones head. it is more trying to get that concensus of agreement.

Anyway off now to look at the Blue Planet.

Steve C Thompson IRIPN

6. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

Hatchet buried.

And I notice you have now edited out the sentence in your post saying '...who gives a toss about what camera they use'. Naughty...... /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

perks

7. TimF

Thank God!!
    This thread is starting to take a while to load. All change please!!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

8. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Ok mate

Steve C Thompson IRIPN

9. chrisg

chrisg Member

ok, im resetting the thread level as its getting tricky to navigate! =)
    some interesting points raised recently. one i would like to pick up on is the lack of discussion (in general, and on other websites) of E100VS. I have come to the following conclusions after shooting said tigers at marwell using the 300/4:

Provia 100F - sharp but restrained on colour saturation (too pale for me).
    Provia 400F - faster version of the above and actually grain is v. fine and yes it will push to 800 although contrast starts to become a problem.
    Velvia - very very good colour saturation but loss of one stop too much.
    Sensia 100 - much like Provia 100F, might be even paler.
    EliteChrome Extra Colour 100 - too much colour sat, looks garish.
    E100SW - Nice, warm, bit like...
    E100VS - my film of choice i think. good colour sat without being over the top, sharp and fine grained. ie. my slides are a near perfect reproduction of the subject matter rather than being over-affected by the film's own characteristics.

Why then does noone talk about it, or rave about it? Odd because it seems to me to be the best of the bunch to my eyes.

Lenses... I think I have been rather hard on my 300/4, I actually quite like it after all. =) Check this out and give me comments if you have time: http://www.photogenesis.org/wildlife/images/siberian tiger 1.jpg
    it was shot on E100VS somewhere between f4 and f5.6, 1/125ish on an overcast day at marwell through their not so clean plastic panels.
    Eagerly I await....

Chris

10. TimF

But I do Chris, its my film of choice too!!

11. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

Andy Rouse uses Provia 400F as him film of choice unless he knows for sure that 100F is fast enough. He says so in Outdoor Photography this month.

12. Glenn Harper

Glenn Harper Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob.

For all I know every wildlife pro in the universe may now be using 400F, although I doubt it. Same rules apply - slowest film possible.

I'd just as soon suffer a particularly bad dose of piles complimented by several boils on the backside as meet or emulate Andy Rouse. My heroes in wildlife photography are the ones most people never hear of, although they're known to those that get involved.

GH

13. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I've got piles......of photos in a big box in the cupboard and boils.......me egg for three minutes every morning for breakfast.
    BigWill

14. TimF

Andy Rouse uses Provia 400F as him film of choice unless he knows for sure that 100F is fast enough. He says so in Outdoor Photography this month.

Rob, that isn't strictly what Andy said. He uses Provia 400F for motion stopping when fast shutter speeds are called for. At other times he uses the slowest film he can get away with, like the rest of us. Watch him on "Wildlife Photographer", he often can be seen loading up with Velvia./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

15. chrisg

chrisg Member

good good. jessops in reading only stocks 3 (or was it 6) E100xx at a time, not many is what im getting at, and photo.net users seem to be fuji lovers by and large. anyhow, i dont much care for using what everyone raves about if its not right for me, as far as im concerned, you test the tools and then use what you like. just wanted to make sure im wasnt missing something, thats all i worry about =)

chris

16. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

You should get razor sharp photos from 35mm colour transparencies such as Fugi Provia 100F. If you are not and you are using a tripod I would tend to think there is a problem with your kit. I am not a Nikon user, so I cannot help here, but perhaps others can.

David.