1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35mm negative filing pages

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Shalebing, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Shalebing

Shalebing New Member

Does anyone know if 35mm negative filing pages are available with the left edge made from card - i.e. where the holes are punched out for the ring binder? I have constant problems with the holes tearing in the normal paper ones. I managed to get hold of some card ones many years ago but I have no idea where I got them from. I have attached a pic to illustrate the type I am after.

Img_8198.jpg

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Reinforcing rings no good?

Failing that, a strip of vinyl tape down the side and punch your own holes through it?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Shalebing

Shalebing New Member

I suppose both of these options would work but I have literally many hundreds of pages to do and patience is not a big virtue of mine. :)

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I use PrintFile "negative preservers". They are plastic, and don't rip. You should be able to get them in the UK.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If you are replacing the pages with new, it will take longer to extract the strips and put them in the new pages, it is also more economical to use reinforcement rings. The danger with vinyl tape is that the adhesive on it might just spread onto the negatives over time.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

A quick Google suggests that Hama still make these (not sure if they are from cardboard - I recall that the ones I used to buy were some sort of tough plastic that did not rip).
    Suggested starting point to buy is, as expected from Google, Amazon

7. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I have repaired the damage to negative pages with self adhesive reinforcement rings. Not expensive and they do work. They are stronger than the paper they will be fixed on and no, the adhesive does not spread. Any good stationers will have them or even places like 'The Range' do stock them.

A bag of 250 will cost about a couple of quid.
    Not all your pages will be damaged so just repair them in your own time and the job's a good'un.

I would caution against using plastic, there is no guarantee that they are inert and may affect the contents, especially if they are colour. They may also sweat and stick inside the sleeves.

Shalebing likes this.
  8. Shalebing

Shalebing New Member

Thanks for all the responses. To answer John King's comment - I have had problems with plastic pages in the past with negatives becoming stuck to the page and even when they are prised out the negatives have unsightly marks on them. I have ordered a batch of hole reinforcing rings from EBay and will give them a try.