1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35mm film help needed

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by thewall, Aug 14, 2014.

1. thewall

thewall Member

I have just invested in a Canon AE-1 and i'm very disappointed with my first pics using a Kodak 200iso film all the pics have come out grainy,this pic was taken with a Canon 50mm lens and put on to disc buy Asda for £3,what am i doing wrong or is it poor developing by Asda
    iPhoto tells me that the jpeg size is 1818x1288 849kb

Would like to post an image but can't find how to do this

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

3. thewall

thewall Member

here are some pics[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

ASDA do not provide hi-res scans to CD. I just use them for dev & scan as a way to edit images on screen instead of having 6x4s or 7x5s printed. That's edit, btw as in BIN, BIN, BIN, OK MAYBE, BIN, KEEP, BIN ;) not further image processing. [Amazing how language is changing in the 21stC!] For that I'd do my own scan.

If you do not have any scanner - then for future films, now you know the camera is working, you could try somewhere like Genie (book your dev, scan & any prints online then mail film in) for your processing. You pay for hi-res scans, though, as they take time.

If you have a flat bed, you could try dropping your negs onto the freshly cleaned platten, covering them with a couple of sheets of copy paper and scanning them like a document. See what result that provides.

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Use say 2400 dpi.

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hey LF, certainly works well with 5"x4"! ;):D Oly

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

if the electronic versions look like the prints then they look a bit underdeveloped - but it could be the scanning.

A commercial scanner should not give you a jpg with dust on it. Do it yourself and dust will be most interesting!

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Ideally I guess we'd really need to look at the neg but that's a tad impractical on a forum...:D

To me the graininess doesn't look like poor scanning as it doesn't look 'crisp' enough. I'm far more inclined to suspect that ASDA have done a poor job on the developing - maybe too short a time or more likely exhausted chemicals...

9. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Looking at the pics posted, they do rather look as though they could be from underexposed negs, which would tend to give low contrast, and the print system would attempt to lift them, which would emphasise the grain. Do the negatives look mostly a rather pale translucent orange when you look at them?

If you were using the AE-1's built in exposure meter, either in manual or auto modes, it's possible that it's become inaccurate over the years. You could consider using another camera as a light meter, getting a separate hand held meter (The Sekonic L208 is very small, works well, and is around £80), or learning the Sunny 16 rule http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule for estimating exposures - this works very well for outdoor shots with negative (print) film. Another possibility, if the innacuracy in the AE-1's meter is consistent, is to permanently set some exposure compensation - possibly by setting a film speed of, say, 50ASA when you're using 200ISO (ISO and ASA film speed scales are effectively the same). Just a thought - you did set the film speed on the camera? I think the AE-1 originates from before the invention of DX coding.

Mind you, the amount of dust, fluff, and other debris showing on the scans doesn't exactly inspire confidence in Asda's processing... Regarding alternative processing labs, if you have a branch of Snappy Snaps near you, I find they do rather better quality results (and the option of higher resolution scans) for a bit more money than most high street mini labs.

10. thewall

thewall Member

Thanks for all the info
    The film was well in date,when i loaded the disc there was 2 folders LORES- HIRES looking at the pics there was no difference in quality,if i took the negs to a proper place is there a good chance the pics will be ok

Also i have just
    [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]acquired a Canon T70 for something to do[/FONT]

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I also have Canon AE-1 and my pics come out well -- you have got under-exposure there so there is nor enough coloured 'Dye' in the film to give a good 'black' and the thin shadow areas always print grainy from an under -exposed negative.
    My AE-1

[​IMG]Canon AE1 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Here is a photo on very OLD OUTDATED Fuji Sensia slide film - it came out well exposed

[​IMG]Sensia200 after 02 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014