1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35mm D&P

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by swanseadave, Jun 19, 2021.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

The other day I found three exposed films in the bottom of an old camera bag,one of which
    was Kodak BW400 which is C41 like Ilford XP2.
    I`ve no idea how old they are but I took them to a local camera shop
    who charged £9 each for developing and printing 6x4I`m more than a little surprised at the
    cost.
    Boots,I`m told charge considerably more.

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Just for reference, Harman Labs (formerly Ilford) charge £7 for develop-only, but of course, you need to pay for postage. There's the postage from you to them, and Harman charge £2.95 for postage back to you.

3. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

Filmprocessing.co.uk in Plymouth £5 Dev only. Free return postage

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    swanseadave and peterba like this.
  4. peterba

Have you used them, and if so, are they any good? I process my own B&W, but a good lab for colour developing would be very useful.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Nine quid for D&P these days sounds like a bargain, I think we charged something like £5.99 for 36 D&P when we had a mini lab in the shop where I worked in the late 80's.

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

£6 develop C41 and scan to disk at Max Spielman .
    Less for developing only .
    As it's black and white it's easy to use a digital camera to copy the negatives and invert them to see what's on the film .

7. peterba

I'm amazed that they're still around. I used them for developing in the early 1980s, but I've scarcely heard anything about them since. :confused:

zx9r likes this.
  8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The one near me never went away .
    They also seem to be opening places up in or just outside supermarkets , Asda and possibly some Tesco's .
    The one near me used to develop C41 instore but the last time I took a roll in they've done away with the machine and send them all off now .
    The plus side is there done in fresher chemicals and it shows .

I develop all my own B&W , and I've started doing my own colour too , but when I only need a roll developing sooner rather than later , they are handy .

peterba likes this.
  9. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

They (mini labs) do need a constant through put, we were in the City of London and closed over the weekend which was usually ok but three day bank holiday weekends often upset things.

10. Laurence Cochrane

I use them for 120 and will send 35mm to them. Good service. Fast too.

peterba likes this.
  11. peterba

Thanks - that's useful to know.

12. Laurence Cochrane

13. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I think I should haver done some research before I went ahead:(

Thanks all who replied.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I did darkroom for a commercial studio, I covered a few shifts for the regular colour guy. Luckily, it was just a deep tank C-22 line and the operators all used Rolleiflexes, so it was a case of clipping the films on and following the timing. No-one was stupid enough to ask me to "run off a few prints". :D

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Kind of like when one firsts starting shooting, you make a few mistakes and get better as you continue on :)

Cheers .......... been there, done that :D

jack

neilt3 and zx9r like this.
  16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That all depends on what your shooting and if someone else is shooting back ! :eek:

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ag Photographic have a lab, under £4 a roll developing only, and free postage both ways. Not used for prints so couldn't say how good they are, but I'm very happy with the 35mm and 120 they've done for me.

Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That sounds a loss making enterprise.

The lab I used 15 years ago still seems to be in business though its main market is printing for pro’s from digital stock so I guess that is high end volume work. There is still a film offering with £5 develop only for 120 drop off and collect but that page off their web site looks 20 years older than the others and, unless I walk in and ask, I’m not sure they really do it.

19. Laurence Cochrane

AG Photolab. Looked at this YOU PAY RETURN POSTAGE.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My bad. I knew I paid a bit but thought it was because I wanted recorded. Sorry!