1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

2nd hand.

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bill Stewardson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

None of my cameras or lenses have been bought new simply because of cost.Some came from Ffordes whom I highly recommend.
    Items always exactly as described.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I have used various branches of LCE, in person and via their website, when buying secondhand stuff for about 20 years, and have never had bad service or thought I'd been 'shafted'. I've also used Ffordes in recent years, and would recommend them too.

Are you referring to the difference between part-exchange (buying in) prices and selling prices? It is a sad fact of life that the part exchange value of something is always less that you would like, because its value to the retailer is linked to what they can sell it for, and how quickly it will sell, and not to what you paid for it (and if you think the camera trade is bad for this, don't ever buy a new car and part exchange it after only 2 or 3 years). They have real premises, knowledgeable staff and offer guarantees on what they sell (unless described as 'for spares'), and this cannot be provided for free.

eBay now offers you an alternative, so you have more choice, but from personal experience I would recommend the retailers who regularly advertise in AP to anybody looking for secondhand stuff.

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Each to their own, but I honestly don't need them (shops). Nothing is cheaper, from memory (bitter ones) the trade in was often dire, the replacement never discounted as such. It was a double whammy. take a hit on the trade in and pay retail on the replacement...No Ta.

But its not just photo shops, both our cars came off ebay, the telly's too. As did the lawn mower, patio furniture. Before anyone laughs, the savings are huge. We have zero debt, no mortgage partly because we flatly refuse to pay over the odds.

The thing is, if I decide to sell on I always get my money back, and more often than not more than I paid.

As I say, each to their own. No one lines my pockets and likewise I don't intend to line theirs.
    The whole shopping dynamics has changed massively in the past decade. We once had no choice but to hit the yellow pages and then trawl the high street, now we are all so much more savvy.

I used to collect multitools in a BIG way. It was a joke that to buy from the USA and have shipped 3000 miles back to the UK was often 50% cheaper than buying here in the UK...and that's even if I could find them here.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I have purchased small photographic items from retailers in Honk Kong and Japan who use eBay as their 'shop window', without any problems as long as I'm prepared to wait 2 or 3 weeks for delivery. These were long straight metal lens hoods and a Nikon slide copier designed for their 60 mm macro, which I use with a secondhand Sigma 50 mm macro and a stepping ring to copy 35 mm slides. I could not find the former on websites for any UK retailer, and the latter was less than half the price of buying new in the UK. However, I would be concerned about buying camera bodies or lenses like this.

Re. part exchange of camera bodies and lenses - I didn't say anything about using part exchange to buy new stuff. I have used it a few times to get another secondhand item. There is a much smaller 'loss' part-exchanging stuff you originally purchased secondhand than part-exchanging stuff you purchased new.

We agree on at least two things: like cars and some hi-fi equipment, buying photographic hardware new is a hobby for the wealthy, and that careful use of the internet has revolutionised our shopping habits (ask the management of Debenhams or M&S).

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you haven't had any problems but we aren't all totally convinced by the eBay model, some of us like to handle a product before parting with any money which is where bricks and mortar shops win hands down. That said, the internet at least allows us to find those shops that are offering the best prices.

6. pixelpuffin

Since Austerity was brought to us by the Gov't, there has been a monumental shift in how people now spend their money. You need only see the lo-cost supermarkets thriving. The whole dynamics has changed massively in recent years. Last weekend we took our son to the coast. We took flasks of tea/coffee, sandwiches. Sat on the beach, paddled in the sea etc etc. The amusments were pretty grim, no one sat playing the racing games, my son wasn't interested either saying the graphics on his xbox at home blew away their expensive 30 second arcade games. In short we arrived back home having had a fantastic day out and spent hardly anything except fuel and ice creams.
    The austerity years has made us all realise that we don't have to spend lots of money - as those losing their jobs on the High street know only too well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't like buying sight unseen but finding items in stock to view is really difficult. It's a problem when things don't meet expectation in use which is then a waste of money. I bought a garden shredder, reviews all great (best in class) and it's rubbish but that was only a couple of hundred quid. I can't conceive buying a camera on spec without having seen one but that will soon be the only way.

8. pixelpuffin

@PeteRob
    I always ask certain questions prior to buying anything off ebay
    The questions are:-

Does this item have any faults?
    Have you owned it from new?
    How old is the item?

As this is done with ebay messaging, they (the sellers) don't have a leg to stand on...had they been hoping to scam me. I also never buy dslrs without the shuttercount...not ever!! it's also very very rare I'll buy something without it's original box. Unless its practically being given away. It just makes selling on so much easier.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

eBay is no doubt cheaper than retailers for used gear but I just don't trust it and would rather pay more and get a guarantee and the ability to return. Selling on eBay is also likely to get a better price but this is where you really do need to be careful.

As you say, to each his own.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I had never see a minolta 600, a canon G3 a canon G6 a canon 40D, a fuji X10, fuji X20 fuji X30 or a fuji XE2 before I bought them . the minolta, X10 and XE2 were refurbished the rest new. They are all still with me and all still working.
    I should really sell on the Canon 40d, lenses and flash guns as I will never use them again. but it all seems too much effort.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I buy lots of low value items on EBay, some deals have been bad but most have turned out well. the most expensive was a Toyota Camry which I am still driving ... but I took it out for a test drive first.

12. pixelpuffin

@Bazarchie With regards to selling. The Olympus gear I sold fetched a fortune..I couldn't believe my luck. There was just one lens out of the 10 zuikos that I sold, 135mm zuiko that had a hairline scratch on the rear element that I didn't see. I had never used this lens despite owning it for more than 20yrs. I refunded the seller in full and said keep the lens. So pleased was he at my trusting he bought 4 other zuiko lenses and was extremely happy as was I because I literally trebled my money.

The leica stuff I sold got a very good price, actually more than the used prices they were selling for in shops.

With ebay you have 30 days right to return if there are any issues regardless if the seller states No Return. If you've previously asked if there are any issues and the sellers replies No, then that's enough for ebay to demand the seller accepts the return should you discover ANY problems. It works...BELIEVE me.

The bargains are simply astounding. I'll never buy from a dealer again.

I purchased a canon 100d, 18-55 IS STM, 18-200 IS for £200
    The 100D has only done 1128 shutter actuations. Both lenses are prisitine as is the camera body - I cannot find fault with anything. The seller threw in hoya filters, canon hoods, canon ever ready cases, extra canon batteries, 128gb sd card etc etc. I know the 18-200 would probably fetch my initial outlay if sold at weekend. the rest would just be pure profit. (sold with ebay £1 max listing fee)

Iv'e kept the lot! I may sell next year..or I may not.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Probably just me, but the scare stories have really put me off eBay. If I was less trusting and used it more often I would be less concerned.