1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

2nd hand.

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bill Stewardson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. stupie1982

stupie1982 Member

I'm digressing here, but it would be interesting to see what profit these used sites make on 2nd hand cameras. A friend of mine traded in a D750 on MPB for £875 and he was convinced they had it up for sale at £950. Of course they have to make a profit, but interesting to see what he would have gotten privately.

Out of interest, i use astrobuyandsell for all my astronomy/astrophotography equipment, but are there any similar sites for just camera users buying and selling?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The old rule of thumb was "buy for a half and sell for three fourths". That meant a gross profit of 50% which is probably just enough to keep a business going.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Blimey, they must need to make more margin than that, surely?

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

They'd also have to pay 16.67% VAT on the mark up.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would have thought so, I usually reckon on getting 50% of what a dealer will sell it for.

6. stupie1982

stupie1982 Member

I think the thing with photography is that its a market that holds its value and folk pay through the nose for the best equipment, both used or new. I would never sell a D750 for say £475, knowing full well that i could sell it for nearer £900. £75 margin per camera maybe isn't too bad, depending on the overheads.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Depends how fast you can shift them, if it stays in stock for a few weeks £75 may not represent any margin at all.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That margin on an item at that price is quite simply unsustainable. No business can work on such margins, they have many overheads and VAT to pay out of that, as well as providing a warranty.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Goodness gracious me! Aren't you aware that all camera shops are run as charities for the benefit of their customers? :D

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

You've all lost me. VAT on second-hand goods?

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, it's not too bad - it's absolutely unsustainable, unless you're selling in huge volumes. They have to offer a warranty, pay overheads, VAT etc and make a profit out of that - fat chance.

14. Andrew Flannigan

A surprising number of people lack any understanding of what goes into running a business :(

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They don't realise that their are overheads, thinking (or not thinking in truth) that the gap between buy-in and selling price is not pure profit.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you want camera stores to be around you need to accept that they have to make a profit after overheads, warranty etc. £75 won't even pay the salesman/woman's wages for a day. Many stores wouldn't be around if they didn't do a huge amount of business over the internet.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

Exactly so. On the other hand high street retailing is under threat because the camera retail market has largely shifted to online sales. Now the vendor needs nothing more than a web site and a reliable delivery service. Moreover the market has become global because there are very few barriers to the internet. On top of this ancilliary services such as D&P have shrunk drastically. In such circumstances it's amazing that so many bricks and mortar shops continue to operate.

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Like I said, they trade on-line as well as on the high street. Well SRS certainly do and they are my nearest store.

19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Coming up for house insurance renewal time, so I thought I had better review my camera gear on the list for stuff that gets taken out of the house, out of the country, or sits (mostly) in a cupboard. Being paranoid, I have two of everything, 'just in case', except for my 50mm f:1.4, so that's two each of wide angle zoom, standard zoom, short tele-zoom and long tele-zoom. That accounts for nine of my 22 lenses, and those nine all meet my requirements regarding sharpness, CA, vignetting etcetera - and all were bought new! All the rest bar two were bought second hand, and had some flaw that dropped them from the 'A' list.

Most of the flawed telephotos had some degree of decentring, the wide-angles had back or front focus and so on. I have two 'party' lenses - 24>135mm, both bought second hand. The Sigma isn't a sharp as it should be, and the Tamron is only a five pin lens, so not good for flash. I have three macro lenses, but the only one I use regularly is the Sigma 70mm f:2.8, which must be one of the sharpest lenses on the planet - and it was bought new. The 50mm and the 105mm just aren't in the same league.

I guess I have been spoiled a little by using Zeiss T* lenses for 20 years on my Rolleis, but my record on second-hand lenses is abysmal. Even my two favourite but oldest lenses - 70-200-ish - were bought new old-stock.

Part of the problem, of course, is that living in Cyprus there is no second hand market where a lens can be checked out directly, so I have had to rely on eBay, but I really don't want to examine how much I have spent on second hand lenses that are going to sit in the cupboard until doomsday!

20. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

It seems we are at polar opposites
    I never buy from dealers now. twenty odd years of being shafted throughout the film era has left bitter memories.

Virtually everything I now have:
    5 X canon DSLRs + canon grips
    14 x canon lenses
    6 X canon flash guns

Plus compacts were all bought off eBay (except the 70-300L) at ludicrously low prices. Virtually all is boxed, all as new and in the case of the DSLRs all had way less than 2k shutter with the exception of the 5D2 (5.4K). The buyer protection is fabulous on eBay. Don't get me wrong people have tried to scam me, but eBay ALWAYS protects buyers and refunds payments. Win Win in my case.

As for dealers.....I won't mention their names but I hope what goes around comes around....they fleeced me proper back then!! But with the Internet we are all now far more savvy these days.

I could list all today and sell at profit!!

Loving it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019