1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

2nd hand.

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bill Stewardson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I regularly have a look at what's on sale in Cash Converters - that's where I got my bargain-priced Canon F1 from. You can get some serious bargains from there, but he who hesitates is lost as I proved by missing out on a Leica iiif for £100 and a Nikon F-36 motor drive, baseplate and battery pack (for the Nikon F) for £150!

Cheers, Jeff

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I did buy a used Nikon 12-24mm from a private seller on Ebay once , it was in Mint condition - I asked him to send more photos via email [ you could do that back then ] and I could see it was worth buying so I took the risk - I bought a new Tamron 90mm from a business seller on Ebay when Ebay were offering 10% off all electronic equipment , apparently lenses came under that category and I got rather a nice bargain . Now Ebay and Amazon are full of Rogue Sellers I wouldn't take a chance - Ffordes are near - ish , I've heard good reports about MPB and Wex . Camera Jungle are suppose to be affiliated to Jessops are they not so they should be ok .

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I check CEX regularly, their website is kept up to date, anything sold is removed immediately, any new to stock item appears immediately, there are a number of branches within easy reach of where I live.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A rather sweeping statement. There are some rogues, most Ebay sellers are fine, any problems will be dealt with by Ebay.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's much easier as a buyer on ebay these days. Less bargains, but in any dispute, the buyer pretty much always wins.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In my experience most sellers will sort things out, the spectre of negative feedback acts as an incentive. I have only had to open cases twice, in both instances Ebay dealt with them satisfactorily.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My son had an awful time with a buyer who insisted the item sold was incomplete because it lacked a USB cable, even though the OEM doesn't provide a cable and the item was correctly described with no mention of any cable. The buyer just wanted a USB cable to have been thrown in, which would have required some kind of clairvoyance to forsee. My son won but it was very hard work.

8. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

Have to say that lately EBay has been fine.

The buyer does seem to be well protected generally.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I think so. I don't believe that by and large the honest seller has a lot to fear, many issues are down to lack of knowledge of items, rather than any real intent to mislead. The occasional buyer can be a problem, I sold a lens that was fine, the buyer believed it was front-focusing, simply because he had read on the internet that some samples of this lens had suffered from this. I just told him to return it, if somebody has decided something they will not move, it is easier to capitulate immediately rather than enter into an acrimonious dispute. I subsequently resold it after a while with no issues.

Bill Stewardson likes this.
  10. Bill Stewardson

Bill Stewardson Well-Known Member

Worth noting you can get 2nd hand stuff on Amazon.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Much of it at highly inflated prices!

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Given how badly they rated two perfectly usable things I sent them, anything higher than a 7 or 8 from Wex must be in superb condition.

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's a company I have had no dealings with. I did have some with Calumet which is now in with WEX, but only bought new items from them.

14. dw812

dw812 New Member

Hello Bill,

I predominantly use LCE for my second hand purchasing, however I've a published friend who has used WEX, Panama and Camera Jungle before; he has had no issues in the past.

The personal reason for choosing LCE is that they send equipment to local stores should you enquire online. I bought a Canon 70-300m lens from their Derby store, which was actually advertised as being in their Chichester branch to name one example.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

If only there was an LCE store close to Milton Keynes, I expect I'd buy more! Much more... (LCE Leamington Spa is slightly too far away for me to consider it as "local".)
    I've bought most of my "used" gear from LCE over the last 15 years, and have had no problems with their couriers, or with the delivered goods.

WEX have been good as well.
    Took my artistic daughter to the WEX Norwich store some years ago, and had difficulty getting her to leave - she'd found their iMac demo area, and knew how to use them. Very imaginative, and way beyond my skills. (Bought her an iMac a few years later.)

Sadly, but probably good for my wallet, Milton Keynes is no longer a place for seeking out used equipment. I find both John Lewis and the revamped Jessops less than welcoming. John Lewis has cut its floor staff so everything on display is securely held via nylon tethers which totally destroy the feel of the camera / lens, and as all current cameras can provide decent images, it's the feel etc. which matters. (Their Eos R wasn't visible, but was tucked away behind glass in a locked cupboard.)

Jessops seem to put everything of interest to me behind glass in a cupboard, and if I'm merely "looking", getting an assistant to open their cupboard, makes me feel that I'd buy gear that I didn't really want. So, back to LCE and their excellent website.

16. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

There`s no camera chain store anywhere near Swansea,sadly.
    In fact the only camera shop is Camera Centre Swansea in College Street witch is very small indeed..They have a small selection of new and used cameras and lenses ,film and digital displayed behind glass near the door.

The only lens bought there was a 70-210 3.5 Minolta af.

17. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

How about Carmarthen Cameras? Is that too far away? Like me and Leamington Spa for LCE...

18. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Carmarthen Cameras is about 40 minutes away by car .I Have been there and it seems a good shop
    with a fair range of used though parking is difficult.
    Since they appear not to advertise they didn`t cross my mind when I bought my last camera from Ffordes.

19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Wales is a bit limited for camera shops which I found out 4 years ago. I was due to go to Skomer, got delayed by the weather and went to Pembroke instead. Dropped a camera for the first time in my last life which unfortunately killed it. Had to get a camera the same day if I was to go to Skomer the following day, ended up at Carmarthen Cameras and bought a new camera which they price matched to camera price buster. Not a great used range.

I would use LCE and Wex for used by mail order. They are usually accurate on the condition, if anything they over reduce for minor faults. Both offer returns.

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'm not going abroad for a holiday this year, and in my sick and twisted mind this has somehow translated itself into the idea that since I'm not spending money on travel I can spend it on a camera instead!

On the digital side of things I've got Nikon & Fuji crop sensor cameras and lenses and Nikon full frame cameras and lenses, so the direction this craving takes me in is something of a mystery at the moment, but I've been scouring the pages of MPB, LCE and Ffordes in search of inspiration.

If...OK, let's not kid ourselves...when I make my purchase I'll report back on which seller I use and how it all goes.

Cheers, Jeff