1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

24mm options

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Zou, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm pondering about wide lenses at the moment. If I want 24mm (real 24mm), what are the options? The SMC-A 24mm f2.8 seems to be the obvious candidate, but is it worth the money over a non-brand, say a Cosina 19-35 zoom? SRS have a Vivitar 24mm for under £40, which seems too good to be true, so probably is. Or is there something else out there worth looking for?

Any advice - take a cheap chance or go for the A 24?

2. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Me too!

I bought a Tamron 24mm f2.5 Adaptall 2 type 01B after reading some rave reviews, but was not impressed. It is super sharp centre frame but truly diabolical moving towards the edges - and it lacks contrast. Maybe I got a duffer, but that's my two penneth.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

New or used?

Personally I'd be inclined to buy a used 24mm prime over the Cosina every time if budget is an issue. You really don't get owt for nowt with optics - I have a manual 19mm Vivitar prime in Nikon Ai which was less than £40 new and by and large it's easy to see why. On an APS-C format camera and well stopped down it's tolerable at the centre but the edges and, especially, corners are a bit dodgy - on a 35mm format I suspect it could well approach awful...

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Used would be most viable. It'd be for use on film primarily, although I'd likely get good use out of it on digital too.

5. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

The Cosina 19-35 is actually quite a good lens. Centre sharpness is good and it would do OK on an APS-C sensor particularly when stopped down to, say, f5.6 or smaller. My version is Canon fit.

I don't do a lot of wide-angle on my GX10 and apart from the adequate but unexciting kit lens I have a Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4.5 which I bought from SRS for £70 which is a very nice lens and 24mm is eminently usable with only slight barreling.

6. ojb28

ojb28 Well-Known Member

You might be interested in my comments on the Tokina 19-35mm in this thread

I think it's a very decent lens on both my K10D and MZ-5n

7. MatchNeedle

MatchNeedle Member

There's the old Sigma Super Wide in manual and auto focus variants, which had a good reputation, though is rather cheaply built (the markings wear off). It should come with the "Perfect Hood", a clip-on petal style which needs aligning, doesn't clip on in the reversed position, and doesn't allow the lens cap to be used at the same time -- so is rather less than "perfect".

8. Manofolympus

Manofolympus Well-Known Member

I've got the Sigma 24mm In OM mount (cant afford the olympus one yet ;)) and have been more than happy with it optically-though the standard of construction is noticeably less than the Oly ones.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with that. I had two 24mm Super-Wide II's (in Nikon Ai and Canon EF) fits - both of which performed very well. I still have the Canon version although I did trade-in the Nikon fit against a proper 24mm Nikkor which was on offer at a very good price...

Probably explains why neither of my copies came with one........ :D

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: 24mm options -- One Question ..

Hi Zou,

Are you looking to get the equivalent of 24mm w/ your digital or do you want to
    mount a 24mm and get the equivalent of 36mm on your digital?

If it's the latter (which I am kinda guessing it is); I have had the SMC 24/2.8 (excellent), Tamron
    Adaptall 24/2.5 (excellent) and (almost) had the FA 24/2 (excellent from what I have heard and
    seen) and nearly purchased a Kiron 24/2 (have yet to hear anything negative).

If you are looking for the former, I have had the Tamron Adaptall 17/3.5 which was a cracking lens
    but w/ hood and filter turns this (relatively) small lens into a hulking lens :eek:

Hope this helps............ somewhat :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Surely, you could look at the Sigma 10-20, wich is an EX lens. It will give you 15-30 equivalent. I have not had any issues with the quality of mine so far. Agreed it is F/4 to 5.6, so not as fas as some.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Whilst the 10-20 and the Pentax 12-24 are great options, I really would prefer something I can use on film. If I got the 12-24 I'd really start wanting a K-7 to attach it to... No such worries with the old A-series lens, and it'd be cheaper to get an LX than a K-7. :D

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I've got a Sigma 12-24 which works on both film and digital....very nice to use

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is that the one which doesn't get on with filters? If so, a bit of a no-no for me. Thanks for reminding me about it though. :)