1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

2018: A Year in the fast lane

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Fireproof Creative, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Fireproof Creative

Fireproof Creative Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Every year I do one of these wrap-ups it feels like they get closer and closer together :( I'm definitely old now.

Here's a selection from 2018, shooting the British GT and WEC trackside with a couple of spectator trips to the F1 and Blancpain Endurance Series.

C&C more than welcome as always...

1. It started out in March with the British GT Media Day
    [​IMG]RJN Motorsport - Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 - Devon Modell - Struan Moore by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. Then the traditional rain began in Oulton Park
    [​IMG]#33 Barwell Motorsport - Lamborghini Huracan GT3 - Jon Minshaw, Phil Keen British GT Championship - Oulton Park by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

3. ...and it didnt stop until after Rockingham
    [​IMG]Balfe Motorsport - McLaren 650S GT3 - Shaun Balfe - Rob Bell British GT Championship by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

4. ...where it stopped forever
    [​IMG]Tristan Vautier, Adam Christodoulou, Raffaele Marciello - Mercedes-AMG Team Akka ASP - Mercedes-AMG GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

5. Too much sun
    [​IMG]Samantha Young - Demon Tweeks Barwell Motorsport by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

6. Snetterton looked good though
    [​IMG]#116 ERC Sport - Mercedes-AMG GT3 - Lee Mowle, Yelmer Buurman British GT Championship by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

7. Where I learnt Struan Moore loves tom & Jerry
    [​IMG]#24 RJN Motorsport - Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 - Ricardo Sanchez, Struan Moore British GT Championship by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

8. Nicki Thiim looks like a bad ass
    [​IMG]#11 TF Sport - Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3 - Nicki Thiim British GT Championship - Silverstone by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. Fireproof Creative

9. The only time a Mclaren looked fast this year was when I vomited Photoshop all over it XD
    [​IMG]Stoffel Vandoorne - Mclaren by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

10. Brand's was literally too hot for photography
    [​IMG]#99 Beechdean AMR - Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

11. It's a tough job but someones gotta do it :D
    [​IMG]#92 Porsche GT Team Porsche 911 RSR: Michael Christensen, Kevin Estre World Endurance Championship by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

12. The new Aston looks good...
    [​IMG]#95 Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage AMR: Marco Sorensen, Nicki Thiim World Endurance Championship by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

13. ...Really Good!
    [​IMG]#97 Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin Vantage AMR: Alex Lynn, Maxime Martin World Endurance Championship by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

14. The BMW wasn't as big as the memes
    [​IMG]BMW Vs. Aston Martin by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

15. Pink Lambo's... Nice :D
    [​IMG]#69 Barwell Motorsport - Lamborghini Huracan GT3 - Sam De Haan, Jonny Cocker by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

16. Flick Haigh... The first woman to take GT3 Championship Honours in British GT
    [​IMG]#11 Optimum Motorsport - Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3 - Flick Haigh, Jonny Adam by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Thanks very much for looking.. more on Flickr and Instagram if you're so inclined :)

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Very nice again! Thank you for this.

4. Fireproof Creative

Not at all, thank you for the support with my photography :)

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

They're all crackers, but number 16 would have been my absolute favourite - except for the absolute mess that Flickr makes of any sky that's got the slightest bit of contrast in it! I'd love to see a version of number 16 that Flickr hasn't had its greasy paws all over!

Cheers, Jeff

Fireproof Creative likes this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Very nice again. But for next year, where is "up" for you? What will you be aiming for?

7. Fireproof Creative

Thanks Mike... I'd quite like to start getting paid to do this :D ...but aside from financial gain and fame :D I'd like to get more consistent, I still feel like I don't see the shot until after I get home and wish I'd done something differently or made more of the opportunity I had at the time. I think I pretty much have taking pictures of cars down now... what I'd like to do is start making art out of motorsport with a bit more broad appeal, hahaha well that sounds like a cliche but it's true :D

8. Fireproof Creative

Thanks Jeff... although I think that's probably more to do with my aggressive use of the grad filter and clarity in camera raw XD

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Good thing to do. When you've nailed something, see what you can do with it. I suffer from getting bored easily and wanting to do something entirely different :(

10. Fireproof Creative

Haha I only really take pictures of motorsport... occasionally interspersed with pictures of buildings which most people describe as derivative XD so it i's a circle of encouragement to keep doing the track stuff hahaha

[​IMG]Tower Bridge by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

[​IMG]St. Paul's Cathedral by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Done_rundleCams and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I thought you would be selling some photos by now given the quality. Is it only a few of the well known motorsports photographers that sell?

12. Fireproof Creative

Very kind of you...Not necessarily just the well known ones.. but the paying market isn't vast so the opportunities are limited in my experience. Might be my style isn't what people like, might be I haven't spoken to enough people, could also be there are better more deserving photographers out there :D what I would say is that at least half the accredited media you see at racetracks are shooting for nothing more than trackside access (especially at domestic events) :S Perhaps a sign that photography in sports has been diluted by the sheer amount of content that is being generated for free by punters... I don't really know :D

Done_rundleCams and Roger Hicks like this.