1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st test

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by RonM, May 27, 2005.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Re: 2nd try

I guess D7D (I meant the digital)

MickLL

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Yep, me as well [​IMG]

Morning Mick,

[​IMG]

Jack

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Morning Jack.

If I took pics like yours I'd show them but mine are almost exculsively macro of 'bugs'. Sad though I am that's my scene.

MickLL

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Update

Just in case anyone missed it I did an update on the 7D for Fen in the Camera Chat forum Camera Chat I know I should have posted it here, however there is a further update, I've just received the VC-7D grip for the camera and interestingly it can take two BP400 L-ion batteries which extends its length of operation or six AA NiMh batteries, which gives wider battery options. Most importantly the grip IMHO does help balance the camera better and at the same time gives it, the camera a more 'Pro' look (OK I admit it I'm a poser).
    I'm still waiting on the CF cards and once I've got the 'capacity' I'll give the new toy a more serious work-out and again report back here as to my experiences

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Re: Update

I never thought we'd actually get him to admit to being a poseur..................but there you are, it's finally happened! [​IMG]

The battery grip certainly seems to be very "catholic" with it's taste in batteries.................I think Canon could learn a thing or two there! [​IMG]

BigWill

6. Done_rundleCams

Re: Update..I knew I knew it...

I knew it, I just knew it [​IMG] [​IMG]

Morning Ron,

[​IMG]

Jack

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Afternoon Jack, look Will is bad enough, but you don't need to rub it in. [​IMG]
    Anyways the plot thickens, my 1 + 0.5 gig CF cards have arrived, and its the village Gala day to-morrow so (weather permitting) I may just get the opporchancity to get a real play with the new toy [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Joking apart, I've often idly wondered whether, in these times of innocent amateur photographers being accosted by police as well as members of the public for possibly being paedophiles, a more 'pro' appearance might attract less suspicion.

I don't generally photograph the sort of things or places where confusion might result, but still I find myself wondering whether the day might come when I might buy myself (and I shudder to think what Jack is going to say!) a photov**t! :)

9. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Funnily enough Huw, over the years of photographing the 'Gala' with my 600Si, Dynax 7 (and now hopefully 7D) as each of these cameras have grips, with both the 600 and 7 I have been approached by members of the public and asked if I were local press and where could they get copies, now the fact that the Gala is all about the local kids who attend the village primary school and I seem to have free rain to photograph local children having fun and enjoying the day, may be going against the current trend of tarring any and all photographers taking images of young kids as perverts, whether this is due to the fact that the gear I use 'looks' pukka or, probably more to the fact, that the missus has been involved with the Gala now for a good number of years and that I have been dragged into it, (kicking and screaming I have got to say) most years.
    If (weather permitting) I get anything good to-morrow, I may load it onto my webspace and display it here as a further example of the capability of the 7D

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Re: Update 2..

Well was out at the Gala to day and as promised here is a shot I took, converted from RAW USM'd and resized in PS and saved for web.

[​IMG]

Something I did learn to-day is that DSLR's do eat up power, I admit that I didn't recharge the L-ion battery before going out and it quickly showed that the capacity went down quickly and even having NiMh as back-up again they had not been recently recharged and I've got to admit I did start to think is this going to lock up on me, but I did get away with it and didn't miss a shot , but, it looks like I need to get myself some more BP400's and make it a routine to recharge all my batteries before doing a shoot.

Oh and BTW Huw, the fact that I had the 7D, 28-300 sigma, 5600 flash and the 7 & 70 - 210 hanging round my neck meant that yet again I was approached and asked if I was the Photog from the Hamilton Advertiser (a local weekly newspaper), to again which the answer was no, along with a couple of other similar approaches asking if I were press. So it seems that it is the look of the gear that seems to be the factor that instigates the impression that 'one' is a pro.

11. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes, I think that's definitely the case. I had one incident while waiting to meet my mother off a plane at Heathrow last year, and I was taking a few candid pictures in the arrivals hall with a D2H and Sigma 70-200/2.8. I was appraoched by someone who was wondering if I was a paparazzo waiting for Madonna, or David Beckham, or someone.

Anyway, I do wonder if perhaps being more obvious about it, with plenty of pro-looking gear might be less suspicious to those inclined to think the worst. Of course I suppose the down side is that it must be more likely to attract thieves. :-(

There's an interesting article in the new AP about the whole business of how the police treat public concerns about photographers, by the way.

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I had a similiar thing happen at Heathrow Airport, Huw.

I replied that I wasn't supposed to say anything about who was arriving and asked them to keep quiet about it.

About 3mins later Sali's sister arrived and I started shooting photos. The bloke who asked if I was waiting for someone famous also got out his compact camera and started taking photos. We fell about laughing about it afterwards. We imagined this bloke going home saying he got these photos of someone famous but not knowing who she was [​IMG]

BTW Huw... You're looking healthier in the new photo. Lost some weight? [​IMG]

13. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

It's this new diet of small crustaceans and molluscs - not appetizing at all, especially when they're covered in mud! :)

14. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Is this the Huw Evans replacement for the Atkins Diet then [​IMG] and is the Mud critical for the ultimate success [​IMG]

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

When I first went out with my D30 after I bought it I found that it ate up the battery rather quickly, so much so that I began to wonder if the battery was knackered........ [​IMG]

Anyhow I started sticking the battery on recharge the evening before and leaving it to really charge up. The Canon manual recommends leaving the battery on the charger for at least an hour-and-a-half after the full charge light comes on (3+ hours if charging two) and this appears to have made a hell of a difference as it now seems able to last a whole day before showing signs of flagging. As the D30 is an older, probably less energy efficient, design and the battery is a Jessies lookalike not a Canon I'd reckon your D7D ought to be able to do even better.

16. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

You may have a point Nigel, as I do remember (some time ago) a thread regarding batteries and charging and that in particular for NiMh types it took three or four charges before becoming 'conditioned' and being able to last the sort of timescale one would expect.
    As the BP400 has only been charged twice, then this (hopefully) may be the case in that it will need a few more charges before it is operating normally, however, I do think that I will be investing in some more (possibly 3) BP400's (if I can reliably source a 'cheap' but quality supplier) so that I can have 2 in the grip and 2 ready as back up, along with 6 2300 mah NiMh's and if that can't cope with 1000+ images then the manual is a load of 'horse droppings'

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side................you'll have lovely roses............ ;) :D

I'm afraid I tend to take the figures in the manuals with a very large pinch of salt. They're conducted in ideal conditions with the best batteries and rather less use of the LCD than is likely to happen in the field. To the bet of my knowledge there isn't an approved standard method so doubtless each maker has their own method according to how they wish to present the data.

I reckon as long as a couple of batteries will give one a whole day's photography without leaving you high and dry then that's an acceptable degree of performance.

18. Done_rundleCams

Re: Update 2..improve your battery performance...

...one word, previously menntioned by one of the main benificaries (HuW) and that is: PhotoVest ;) and, secondly, keeping Mud "off" the battery can help as well :D.

:)

Jack