1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

1st place wildlife of year photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by P_Stoddart, Oct 13, 2020.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

No arguments here!

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well, it certainly gives new meaning to the word ethereal.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

More roasted than over-cooked.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Probably the effects of being shot on a trail cam

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

On the BBC news it looked like the chap was using a Nikon, loaded into a protective "box" with a cable leading away, but of course that might not have anything to do with the image..

7. PeteRob

The Times says the camera trap was running for 11 months. Presumably he checked, if not daily, on a regular basis.

8. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The BBC website says 'All the more extraordinary is that this is a camera-trap image. The equipment was set up in the forest and left, waiting to trigger automatically when a tiger came by'. So where was the photographer, and how many thousands of images were taken by the automated process so that one could be selected?

9. PeteRob

It would have been extraordinary if he’d been standing there!

10. Chester AP

But far more impressive... he might not have even been on the same continent, or awake at the time, so who deserves the credit - him or the hardware manufacturer?

11. PeteRob

Standing 20’ from a wild tiger he wouldn’t have made it to the competition.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I've stood quite close to an Amir tiger and didn't have to wait for a photo...
    (Yorkshire Wildlife Park);)
    At least I didn't try for a selfie

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

He was the one who set up the camera, set up the trigger and then processed it...

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

It’s his image and I would imagine it took a lot of time, energy, tech knowledge and effort to do it. Perhaps it would have been applauded more if he had been taking a bit of a stroll through the woods and happened to come across a Siberian tiger having a scratch against a tree, whipped out his camera and grabbed a shot.

15. Chester AP

Or perhaps waiting patiently in a secure 'hide' and carefully taking the shot at the right moment. What I would love to know is how many images were taken by the automated system, from which he had to select one. Hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands...?

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well one does wonder if there was anything on that tree to bait the Tiger's behaviour??

The odds on a tiger doing that seem rather extreme. Unless the shooter had seen the tiger do before so figured

worth putting a hidden camera in case a repeat happens??

It is the case that experts in animal behaviour do see repeat action from animals say favourite feeding/hunting areas. :)

Human are the same. Taken say the same route to shops or eating the same time everyday etc.

I remember the uproar over the wolf jump gate which turn out to be a setup shot. I think the animal was trained!!

It is a very good shot just for me the processing has damaged it looking natural. I thought there was strict rules on too much processing

in wildlife shooting??

This shoot is more art than wildlife record image IMHO.

17. PeteRob

The write up I saw said that trees of that type (pine trees) were attractive to tigers; because of their aromatic resin smell the cats like rubbing against them. There were signs of tiger presence which decided the trap position. I guess, like all cats, tigers also leave their own scent markings by rubbing their bodies on things. We have a new cat in our neighbourhood who seems to alternate rubbing itself against the leg of our teak outside table with using it as a scratching post. This is slightly preferable to the cat marking the table with urine.

18. Chester AP

When I first saw the picture, I thought it was a male tiger 'relieving an itch'. Strange creatures, cats.