1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960s b&w celebrity positive glass slides - how were they made??

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Simon GP, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Simon GP

Simon GP New Member

Hello. OK, so I recently acquired a large archive collection of late 1960s tv/celebrity glass slides (in German metal Cenei covers). At first I assumed that there would be two pieces of glass and a piece of celluloid/film sandwiched in between. A few were broken and I also opened a couple of them. The good quality positive photo images each appeared to be on one of the two pieces of glass - which was mysterious as the glass surfaces were/are wholly smooth. No signs of any emulsion. I was baffled - and so were the various people/experts that I contacted/badgered via Google. Today I went through the collection again and there was another broken one (of Cliff Richard) - but this one shows how they were made. The photographic images are on very thin transparent sheets and are somehow stuck down so well that they end up feeling like they are part of the glass itself. My question is, how did they create the thin plastic sheets with the photos on them? Has anyone come across this kind of thing before? I have attached some pics to make things clearer - one pic of a Harry Seacombe intact piece of glass, and the other is the broken Cliff Richard one. All info welcome! slide4.jpg slide5.jpg

2. Simon GP

Simon GP New Member

After an underwhelming response (lol), I have since been informed that the slides are likely to be silver gelatin. I am amazed that such a substance can 'set' and remain coherent like that...

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don’t know about the slides but I hadn’t seen the original post. That is twice in the last week or so that I’ve seen something “new” that reports itself as having been posted for some little while. Maybe that is why your response has been underwhelming? Although I do hit “mark forums read” when there are no interesting things to read I can’t imaging ignoring your post.

4. Simon GP

Simon GP New Member

Pete - hi there. Do you know anything about silver gelatin positive slides? The notion strikes me as correct - but I am still amazed at such alchemy!

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I know absolutely nothing. I am surprised that a) I didn’t see the post and b) no-one answered.

This latter made me wonder if anyone had seen it.

Most regulars, like me, read the forum using the “new posts” button and I’m beginning to wonder if that filter sometimes misses the odd post

Harry Secombe looks well.

6. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Silver gelatin is perfectly normal for a conventional black and white image so no magic going on there, I assume it was coated onto one of the glass substrates as you say like a glass plate and optically printed similar to now motion picture stock was printed from negatives. That may be a massive over simplification, is there any visible additional substrate like celluloid or does it look like the plates were coated directly?
    Interesting and as Pete has already said, this is the first time I have seen your original post, and I have been here most days regurgitating pictures on to the lock down thread.