1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1954 Asahiflex w/ Takumar 58/2.4 and 135/2.8 lens shoots Blues Band on July 4/21

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Done_rundleCams, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I shot this blues band using Delta 3200 using the waist level viewfinder ... talk about screwy :eek: ... a few decent
    FAUXto's from a roll of 36 ...and, yep, I realise that I kept too many :D. BTW, the last shot is of the mum of
    of the lead guitarist ;)

Cheers,

Jack

July4-21-AP-Sun-000016 copy.jpeg July4-21-AP-Sun-000023 copy.jpeg July4-21-AP-Sun-000025 copy.jpeg July4-21-AP-Sun-000027 copy.jpeg July4-21-AP-Sun-000035 copy.jpeg July4-21-AP-Sun-000038 copy.jpeg

zx9r, neilt3, ptermx and 2 others like this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

They work, though. ;) :)

IvorETower and Done_rundleCams like this.
  3. Done_rundleCams

To a degree, Andrew :D

Cheers,
    Jack

4. ptermx

ptermx Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those. I hope you won't mind me saying that they are rather dominated by the Delta3200 grain. What ISO(s) did you actually expose and develop for there?

The photos remind me that I have some, presumably expired, rolls of D3200 still waiting. The grain reminds me why I still have them.

I think of D3200 as only really suitable for moving subjects in stark lighting, but not much of it. A band performance certainly fits that. On the other hand, I've seen it described as "versatile".

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Blimey, I've seen bags of gravel with less grain!

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Don't call it grain, call it artistic interpretation, and people who have never used film will ask how it was done.

I once used HP5 push-processed to 1600 ASA (c. 1975) to photograph somebody's lab rats in a behaviour experiment and was asked not to use flash because it would disturb them. He only wanted some 4 x 6 inch prints for his dissertation paperwork, and the results were fine for this.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  7. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

And the framing / composition questionable too..35 mm is all about tight framing. Were you tied to a chair ? .

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This isn’t appraisal.

9. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

It is not actually grain but grain clumping and probably made more visible by the commercial scan, they could be scanned better and would probably be less obvious if optically printed but that is not the point, Jack was having fun with some old kit. We have seen the same band shot on digital which were much 'better' but not so much fun.

10. Done_rundleCams

Glad you liked them, @ptermx, and not at all :) As for the ASA exposed, the camera used didn't have a film speed function, hence was meterless, so, I just chose a
    shutter speed (1/100) and an aperture (2.8) to shoot at :eek: ............ ;) Nope, this was fresh film which I purchased about a month previously and I'm not sure what
    developer was used nor the time/temperature :eek: and, truth be told, I don't mind grain :D

Ironically, I've never used high speed film for shooting nighttime stuff, but, I used to push the heck out of HP5+ quite routinely ;) I used the high speed film for
    shooting indoors sports/ concerts et al :). Now, that bands/concerts are (kinda) back to being a thing, I'll probably being shooting more Delta 3200 :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

I don't know about bags of gravel, Adrian, but, I've seen some wheat fields with less. .............. ;)

cheers,
    Jack

gray1720 likes this.
  12. Done_rundleCams

Exactly, Chester, and I like that, 'artistic interpretation' or, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) The worst I did to HP5 was push it to 6400 :eek: and no flash for the same reason ;). I was shooting some prostitutes for a news story in the late 80's and, amazingly, they turned out, relatively, well :)

Cheers,

jack

13. Done_rundleCams

:D :D :D and as for being tied to a chair, kind of Laurence ;). One of the COVID rules was, once you found a chair, you were pretty much stuck there .. except to
    go to the loo or leave :D As for tight framing, as mentioned, I used, both, a 58/2.4 and 135/2.8 :) The 58/2.4 was for the "group" photo and the woman reading
    the menu and, I think, the rest were using a 135/2.8 with, of course, some judicious cropping ;)

And, just for you, @Laurence Cochrane, a few sanitised digital shots ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Attached Files:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. Done_rundleCams

Be gentle, Pete, Laurence is still, relatively, new here :)

Cheers,

Jack

Laurence Cochrane likes this.
  15. Done_rundleCams

Hi Keith,

"having fun", well, it was except for the focussing and composing ;) As mentioned, about the scanning was done at 18?? x 12?? using a Fuji film scanner known as a SP-2000 (?) and I'll have to have some 4x6 prints done just to see how bad/good/indifferent they are :D. I posted a couple of digital shots on my response to Mr. Cochrane, if ya wanna take a peek :)

Cheers,

Jack

16. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

Oh I have been offending people a long time now. In person and on t interweb. You really should read some of my Facetube notifications.

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It’s not an issue of offence. On the forum, pictures posted in the appraisal section are there for critique but not anywhere else. Discussion of the grain is not a critique of the photograph in this context.

18. Done_rundleCams

:D :D .......... I'll look you up, Laurence :)

Cheers,

Jack

19. Done_rundleCams

Laurence Cochrane likes this.
  20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The digital ones seem "dead", somehow, as compared with the film versions. Which is odd, because I'm not a fan of too much grain.

By the way, what are the perspex screens for?

S