1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s camera questions (6 images)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Atavar, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, this is my first time in the traditional capture forum and isn't it just typical I’m begging for help :)

I've become hooked on the Agilux camera marque which ceased production in the '60s. I have a Weston Euro Master and a working Agimatic from '57, and have just put my first roll of film through it (cheap as chips fujicolour c200) :)

[​IMG]

I was delighted to have got any result at all considering the last roll i shot was 11 years ago in a camera with a built in meter, but I do however have a question which i hope the knowledge and experience of this forum can help me with.

I put a colour roll through the camera and ordered negatives only as they were cheapest (i am a student after all) but when i put the negs into my computer with a veho scanner all the images had a cyan cast to them:

[​IMG]

Is it that the lens is designed for mono film only, has its coating coloured with age or have i made a blunder by not ordering prints to compare the results with the veho which i admit is not an ideal solution.

[​IMG]

As you can see converted to B&W the image is fine (minus the metering decisions, composition etc). If it is a case of the lens being unsuitable for colour would it be practical to continue using colour film which is more economical and converting it to mono later? I can make the cyan images more acceptable in post processing but i would rather work out what is wrong and make it perfect from camera without having to mess with manipulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are ok but they are far from perfect.

Many thanks for reading, i apologise for invading but i'd really like to get to grips with this fantastic piece of kit :)

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Yes they are very nice little cameras - I had several in my collecting days.

It actually looks as if the film you used was way out of date or been stored very badly (on a shelf in full sun for a long while). Is that a possibility?

I don't think whatever the lens coating is will make much, if any, difference to colour rendition. I've has excellent results with pre-war cameras with no coating at all. I'd say try another, known to be fresh, film and get prints made.

I don't know anything about the particular scanner you used but it's possible there's a problem there.

3. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your expiriance. The film was in date but it was also bought from a supermarket at a bargain price, so i think it could be a contender for flaws. The scanner is a cheap peice of bobbins my dad got to digitise all his old slides. The slides went in fine with no colour error, when he was done he gifted it to me so i suppose in all counts of film, not getting prints and scanner i really have got what i paid for :eek:

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It is possible to drag just a little more colour from them no doubt from the original a better job could be done ...

[​IMG]

I'd be inclined to persevere - try a rescan and try changing parameters.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Depending on the software you use you may be able to remove the colour cast. This usually involves clicking on an area which should be either white, mid-grey or black when using the appropriate tool.

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I'm begining to suspect its the scanner as i poped a post-it note with a doodle on it in the cradel, scanned it negative and inverted it in Photoshop CS4 and the cyan cast is still there.

I have tried 'Colour correct' which isn't proving massively fruitful and the dropper method but for that one it seems you need all three, white, black and mid-grey to get accurate reproduction which is proving taxing with the scines i shot (one of which is a bright yellow car bonnet). I think next roll i'll have a CD from the processors and save the crummy veho smartfix for black and white.

7. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Is there a white balance setting on the Veho. If there is is it set on tungsten.

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

The Veho Smartfix is one of those push one button and it saves it as a jpeg to a memory card which it you then transfer to the PC, there are no external paramiters i can control.

This morning i threw caution to the wind, trogged to Argos and picked up a Canon 700F scanner with 35mm film function.

Veho:
    [​IMG]

Canon:
    [​IMG]

The resolution and dynamic range are way better, the colours are as was and i'm very happy with it all :) The culprit is found.

A question on DPI scanning and making images 600px for the forum - I scanned at 1200dpi and output it at A3, making an incredible 500mb+ image. When i changed the image size for 600px wide the image was only about a cm wide at 100%. Looking back at other images i've made for posting on AP they vary from this stupidly small size to 5cm across to 20cm across but they all display the same 600px size on line... Is this size difference just to do with the DPI for printing? Why are they all the same on line? Will it effect the image quality if i use a 1cm picture - will the forum stretch it bigger making the toneality break up? This may be an issue that effects more than just me (i can remember subtle tones from some of my other images breaking up in a very pointy, blocky and artificial electronic way which i didn't like) so i'd like to get to the bottom of it :)

Lastly, what dpi can i get away scanning a negative at? At 1200 it takes 13 minutes so a roll of 24 would take five and a half hours.

9. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Good heavens an Agimatic. My 2nd camera after I started photography in the early 60's. Made by Aircraft and General Instruments, Purley Way, Croydon. (Hence the name AGI-matic The factory is still there with the name above the door.

I digress.

I used mine for Slide Film and never had a problem with colour balance, so I would go along with badly stored colour film or possibly poor processing, but the former is most probable.

Treat the old girl with care because the wind on lever at the front was connected to a flexible cable which pulled the film through to the next frame and cocked the shutter. This could snap it treated roughly. Does the extinction exposure meter still have the graduated grey scale with numbers inside. I actually found it to be quite accurate.

10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

So sorry i missed your post :eek: i'm not a frequent visitor to the chemical forum :eek:

I'd actually quite like to go there, although being something of a defence company i don't think they'd like me turning up, camera or not.

Thanks for the tip on the cable :) I have 3 bodies, one fully working, one without the rangefinder but good shutter and one with duff shutter and duff rangefinder i reaped for bits for the best one. Shame it has to come to canabalisum but needs must. There is indeed a good meter in the thing but comparing it with my Weston i seem to be able to see few stops too many in my left eye but about bob on in my right, i may even run a roll of 24 through just on that meter to see how it goes :) Have you any tips for best results? I may also be in a bit of luck - the 85mm f5.5 is on its way to me from eBay this very day. I hope its a good example, they are rare as.

Thanks for your expiriance, i love these little things they are excellent fun and engineering marvels.

11. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Very likely. Computer display only requires 72ppi, so check that. It's far more advisable to scan larger and downsize than scan small though. If the files take up too much space on your drive either burn to CD/DVD or shunt them onto an external drive.

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Cheers, think i may input at 300 dpi. That'd keep the file down while keeping online quality up.

13. The next model upped the specifications stake a bit - lost the "wedge" meter and gained a Brightline finder and an interchangeable lens of 80mm or so (not that I can find one though!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paul

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I have a non-functioning Agima, i must say the viewfinder is a bright big delight and the coupled rangefinder (as opposed to the agimatics uncoupled rangefinder) is a joy although my lens, as well as my shutter have long seized. The lenses for it are the standard 45mm f2.8 to f16, and the 85mm f5.5 to f22, just like the agimatic but they are modified to controll the rangefinder. Lovely bit of kit and they don't make an appearance too often so use 'em if you got 'em. :cool:

15. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

I love the picture of the street corner with the person in the deckchair. Even with the modern car, it has the character of a photo taken in the 50s/60s.

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, the slight cyan cast is a result of the original dodgy scanner and the image is cropped resulting in a lower rendition resolution. I now have an 85mm f5.5 so hopefully shots like this can be even better without a crop.

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that AGI were following much the same styling trends as Voigtlander. I wonder if there was any link, especially as you say that the viewfinder is a joy. I briefly had a Vito C, and I've yet to find a camera with a bigger finder. Big enough to use with thick glasses, apparently.

Adrian

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I think AGI enjoyed the post war import taxes which allowed them to undercut competition. I wouldn’t go so far as saying that they ripped off anyones designs, but i think from what I’ve read on line about their models there is a large amount of similarities, in looks at least, between their models and others which existed previously. The Agiflex similar to the Reflex-Korelle, the Agimatic similar in appearance to the Paxette. I suppose if you get to the party last you have to be wearing the style everyone else has made popular?

The Agima was the last to be produced by the company and the viewfinder is a quantum leap ahead of any they produced before. Unfortunately a working model appears to be quite rare.

19. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

The original Agimatic also had an interchangeable lens too, but like you I never saw one.

20. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

They rarely appear on ebay, i was fortunate enough to get one.

[​IMG]

The barrel controls on the f5.5-f22 85mm are reversed compared to the f2.8-f16 45mm stock lens which for the first five minutes confused me no end. This one has had a tiny bit of paint added at some point to indicate the walk around settings - f8, 15ft focus length and 50th of a second which was in the Agimatic manual, to make sure you’re ready to grab a snap at a moment’s notice.