1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

18-55mm vs 16-45mm vs 28-75 2.8 Tamron

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by GrahamR, Mar 9, 2008.

1. GrahamR

GrahamR Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Have just bought a K10d body only, and am looking for my first lens.
    What would you recommend as a good starting lens.

Go for the 18-55mm 4-5.6 or the higher 16-45mm 4 pentax lens.
    The 18-55mm now sells for about £50, and the 16-45 and 28-75 about £200 S/H.

Or, have any tried the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 constant as a genral lens, if not requiring to much wide angle.

I have the Konica Minolta 28-75mm 2.8, which I believe was part of tamron, and seems to be an excellent lens.

Any thoughts.

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I now use the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 zoom as my 'every day' standard lens.
    It gives excellent results and is reasonably priced.
    It gives the equivalent of 24 to 105mm, a very useful range.

[​IMG]

There are a lot more examples on my Flickr site (click the image).

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Graham,

The Tamron 28-75/2.8 and your KM 28-75/2.8 lens are identical ... aside from the names :rolleyes:
    and, if you were happy with the KM version you will (or should) be happy with the Tamron (Pentax
    mount) version :) Also, the DA 16-45/4 is, also, a skookum lens and, truth be told, the DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 is a fairly decent lens as well and at a decent price. Also, you might find some of the
    DA 16-45's and Tamron 28-75's in the used departments (or online) for some good prices as well :)
    because a number of people will have picked up the (Pentax) DA 16-50/2.8 lens.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jack

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I'm agreat fan of the SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm f4, which is an excellent performer. It also matches very well the ergonomics of the camera. The 18-55mm is remarkably good for its price and although slightly soft wide open, maybe not a bad thing for portraits, is sharp and crisp when stopped down.

The differences between the two lenses are subtle.

Don't forget that if you want to use filters, the Pentax 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses both take 52mm filters, which is very useful. They are also both very compact.

5. stephentaylor

stephentaylor Well-Known Member

John, is the 16-45mm DA you speak of also known as the 16-45mm ED AL SMC?

If so, then generally speaking, would anyone say that, apart from the obvious wider aperture of 2.8, the 16-50mm f2.8 Limited (which is twice the price) is a much better lens for very high quality images?

Tks, Steve

6. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

There is only one Pentax 16-45mm f4 lens and ED AL is in the full title, but life's too short to keep putting all that in! It's a very fine lens indeed.

The 16-50mm if one stop faster, more expensive and much bulkier. It does not necessarily mean it is a better lens in terms of quality of results.

If you don't need the f2.8 aperture then the 16-45mm is more compact, takes smaller filters and costs much less. Personally I feel no need for the 16-50mm f2.8

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Depending on your budget I'd have to second Monobod re the Sigma 17-70mm. Possibly the best mid-range standard zoom available for the money IMO.

8. stephentaylor

This is great! What with this advice and the price crash of the K10D it is going to cost me a lot less to re-kit from film than I originally expected...

Tks
    Steve

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Stephen,

One other reason to consider the DA 16-50/2.8, aside from the extra speed and motor, is
    for the weatherproofing of the lens, which while perhaps not a big necessity in your sunny
    climes, is very useful in the Wet Coast of Canada

Mind you, I don't have one because I findPlastic bags and elastic bands much cheaper -- see here

cheers,

Jack

10. stephentaylor

Jack,
    Thanks. Over Xmas I was in Whistler. Yes I'd like to get your way more often!!

Steve