1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18/10 Blast from the past - Pentax K10D

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by welshwizard645, Oct 19, 2014.

1. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Clanger in 18/10 issue of AP

K10D with a Samsung 10MP CMOS sensor?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  2. welshwizard645

In the article it says the K10D has a Samsung 10MP CMOS sensor.

well! I must have been living in a parallel universe as my K10D had the same sensor as a whole host of Nikons and Sony, and I will be surprised if Sony used Samsung sensors, mine had a Sony CCD 10MP.

The K20D and K-7 had the Samsung 14.6 MP CMOS sensor while the Pentax/Samsung relationship existed. Only returning to Sony for the 12MP and 16MP sensors. A lot of Pentax users prefer the rendition of images taken on cameras with the 10MP Sony CCD or 12MP Sony CMOS..

Another glitch in the article is the criticism regarding the AF noise. the K10D was the first pentax body to allow the use of the SDM AF lenses (DA*) so was not limited only to body-driven AF.

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Re: Clanger in 18/10 issue of AP

Yes, but some reviews say it is a CCD.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Re: Clanger in 18/10 issue of AP

well they're right

5. welshwizard645

Yes, a Sony CCD.

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

IIRC, the K10D didn't support SDM at launch, but it became available via a firmware update (v. 1.3 I think), around the time of the launch of the K100D Super, which I believe did support SDM at launch.

I have a Samsung GX10 which I haven't upgraded the firmware of, specifically so that I can still use my 16-50 DA* when the SDM motor fails (although it has no been working fine for around 4 years since the SDM motor was replaced with the redesigned version).

7. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Sorry AP but shame on you. The reviewer is clearly unfamiliar with the camera and the review is based on guesswork. A poor article that completely misses the point of the K10. What many users most like about the camera is what they perceive to be the superior rendering of the CCD sensor. I know quite a few who prefer the low iso images from the K10 to images from later CMOS sensor cameras. That's why you would buy a K10 instead of a K20 or K7.

8. welshwizard645

IIRC the camera was launched prior to the DA* lenses, and I do recall making the firmware update on my camera body, but we knew the lenses were coming

9. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Apologies. Ian Burley writes these columns for us, based on a combination of his own extensive experience and research. Although he does possess one of the most encyclopaedic brains I know of when it comes to facts, figures and trivia about cameras and technology, he has been known to get things wrong on occasion and I'm afraid this is one of those occasions.
    I shall have to dust off the AP ducking stool and print a correction in the next available issue.

Sorry about that.