1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

120 metal spools

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by steveandthedogs, Jun 17, 2021.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Anyone know when metal spools were replaced by plastic?

The Kodak ones, anyway.

S

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Kodak 620 spools were always metal as were 127
    120 were originally metal and wood. It was rare for 120 to be made out of all metal till the 70's not sure when plastic one took over for 120.
    Adox had twist opening plastic 35mm cassettes back in the 50's. ( they were excellent for reloading)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Cheers Terry.

It's just that I bought a Baby Bessa a little while ago and it had a metal spool in the loading position. Just wondered roughly when it may have been used last.

S

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My box brownie had a metal spool in it. I think I kept it but no idea where it is.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I started in the mid 1960s, plastic was already the norm for 120.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It tended to depend on the maker and in which country they manufactured a particular film. I can remember verichrome (ortho Film) coming on wooden centered spools not sure about verichrome (pan)

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I only used Ilford at that time because that's what my boss bought. :)

RogerMac likes this.
  8. Laurence Cochrane

Laurence Cochrane Active Member

I bougt a mint Mamiya C3 a while back that had not been used in a LONG TIME. It had a steel spool. At a guess 1970.