1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 Film Cameras "Worth Buying Right Now!"

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by TimF, Sep 17, 2011.

1. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Because the digital market is apparently a scary place at present (?!) - click

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

12? Nice to look at a Bronica though - must get mine out !

3. Captainpenguin

Captainpenguin Active Member

No EOS 600,Nikon FA,Olymus OM1 or Canon A1 that's a seriously rubbish list

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I wouldn't much criticise the list - except for the Nikon FM 10, not one of Cosina's best. The rest all make sense.

5. I think that he has gone for "marketing hype" over what should define a "keeper"

i.e. Canon AE1 - tremendous sales, yes. Brought cheap electronics to the market (as they did with a the early EOS DSLRs. Commercially successful, but a classic? I'd say that the Minoltas/Olympus SLRs of the same period were a better constructed and better specified for the photographer. Look at the Minolta Screen.

Ricoh GR1 - commercially successful, but is it a match for the Contax rangefinder's of the period in terms of specification & versatility, now that they are priced almost the same on the sh market.

Pentax K1000 - popular yes, but the Pentax MX was the far better photographer's versatile camera.

Nikon N80/F80 - really? My bet would be on the FM for most people, though my particular keeper is the FE2 (got 3 - shows my enthusiasm!) Also have an FA which I find not as nice (cheap plastic bulky pentaprism)

As has been said, the FM10 is a Cosina, not a Nikon and is relatively cheap & nasty. The prior Cosina Bessaflex Topcon tribute appeared far better built!

My keepers? Well that has to be a Topcon RE or the original Zeiss Contarex, but more anon (actual tests!) as I have just been fondling the Contarex rather than using it and the Topcon awaits a new zoom lens from Portugal.

Paul

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

This article is clearly one persons opinion, there are cameras that most of us would think more worthy than many of these and probably quite rightly. Contax for example, with the quality Carl Zeiss lenses and bodies that in the main have a quality feel, even the lightweights. The Pentax 6x7 is included, not the most reliable, I've never owned one, but I know a number of people who have, all have had problems with the bodies. Bronica is included as a keeper, even though the maker has gone out of business and it is reputed that spare parts are difficult to source.

A keeper needs to be something that is reliable and can be repaired if necessary, many of these just don't fit the description. Another poster mentions the Pentax K1000, which is included, I agree, the MX was a far superior instrument, at a rather higher price.

7. john_smith

john_smith Member

My twelve......

Bronica SQi, Hassy 500cm, Mamiya RB67, Leica M7, Nikon FE, Nikon FM2n, Nikon FM3a, Nikon F5, Canon AE-1, Pentax Spotmatic, Contax G2, Wista 4x5.

8. peterkin1010

peterkin1010 Active Member

Agree totally.

Nikon FM10?

What the...?

My choice would have been:

Nikon F5, Bronica SQAi, Canon A1, Minolta X-700, Olympus OM-4Ti, Mamiya 645 Super, Nikon F3,Canon EOS-1V,Contax RTS2, Mamiya RZ67, Pentax 645 Super, Pentax 67II.

Just my humble opinion though.

9. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be my choice.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

So are s/h Canon AE1s if you've ever heard a shutter scream! It's awful! Suggest a Canon F1 - original or n - is/may be a much better buy. As would a late Canon FtbN. A Canon that I had my hands on briefly and was impressed by was the T70. I also think the EOS300 and its variants are fantastic little cameras and can sometimes be bought for very little. Plastic, cheap feeling, but very usable and surprisingly good performers. I doubt the cheap EOSs will ever be collectable, though and values may always be low.

Agree with Paul about K1000s and MXs. Word has reached the latest bunch of 'digital-life-only' students that the K1000 was THE college camera so good ones, I believe, fetch quite high prices. Any of the M series were good cameras but the MX & ME Super should be worth going for along with LXs. This was underrated for years but collectors caught on some years ago and got them when they were cheap.

I've had a slight yen for a chrome Nikon F2 with a plain prism for some time. Unfortunately, not having spent a yen or any currency on one, I have left it too late. They now fetch megamoney.

Leica rangefinder prices bounce around and M3s although still high have eased as have M2s but lenses are a problem. The success of the M8 & M9 plus the M4/3 and other CSCs mean that lenses are in short supply and prices are increasing ...
    ... but ...
    now may be the time to buy a R3, R4 Mod2, R4s or R5.

Therefore, the Minolta XE1 and XM1 may also be good buys. The latter is a battleship of a camera - literally. Just look at that pentaprism!

As Hasselbald prices now appear to have turned upwards, the advice in the article to buy a Bronnie may be a good idea. Mamiya and Yashica TLR prices appear to have eased back quite a bit. As it is highly unlikely that they will be batch produced as 'collectors items' in future {but don't quote me on that!}, they may be worth a look.

Konicas are hardly ever mentioned - reflexes, that is - the Hexar rangefinder and its lenses are much sought after. The original As and Ts as well as the latter models might be worth looking out for.

Caveats: Prices can go down as well as up. Therefore, in my view, it is better to buy a camera as a user and be prepared to put a couple of rolls through whatever you get, every year you own it. Try to create some great images with it, so that whatever happens to it in terms of wear & tear or collectability, the pictures will always be there. Also, to exercise the shutter every now and then if it is empty.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Personally I have no intention of buying any film cameras right now, I did muse over an Olympus OM4Ti recently, but decided against it. I regret not having sold my medium format equipment sooner than I did. I simply don't see the point, unless you are a collector. I say this because looking at it logically, the materials side of things and processing is coming to a head, in that the quality of reasonably priced commercial processing is generally not all that good, the only real reason I can come up with is for monochrome work. At least self processed black and white takes the vagaries of trade colour processing away, as well as generally being more pleasing than digital monochrome.

With regard to buying Bronicas, why? From what I understand there is little in the way of spare parts available for them and anything you are buying with the intention of keeping needs to have the potential for repair, or be cheap enough for it not to matter.

I still own film cameras, but they don't see a great deal of use, whether I could actually part with some of them, I don't really know, but as for buying any more, no, no, no!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

When a factory closes, spares are quite often sold to 'brokers'. There was a case when a maker scrapped shed loads of spares - cannot now remember who did so - but it's unusual. Normally there's money as well as integrity to be had by making them available. But there are so many Bronnie SLRs out there that bits can be cannabilised to keep others going. And they are at their cheapest ever, right now. Secondly, the supply will reduce in time. So, a carefully cared-for example in the right condition may appreciate. Thirdly, camera technicians now fabricate stuff, or at least some of them do. Fourthly, photography equipment obviously is affected by fashion. We have experienced several of these fads now: Lomos, Lubitels, Holgas, Trip 35s - there will no doubt be more to come. Bronnies' SLRs? Who knows? Certainly the rangefinders are currently 'hot'.

As to the final para - that's fine, whatever suits you. Things may change, or may not. I know for many film is a thing of the past. As long as they can now make 'photographs' in a way that pleases them, that is great! :D

For others film is a wonder still around the corner to be discovered. Or even just the equipment of the past. :) I can think of at least one person, who on a passion for the kit alone has built a multi-faceted and very successful career.

13. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Er..why post on a thread about buying film cameras then?

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Er..why not?

Presumably I am entitled to state my point of view, whether it is in agreement or otherwise. Aside of that quoting parts of a post doesn't always give the full picture, like omitting the part about considering an OM4Ti.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I wouldn't buy a film camera but I am keeping my FM2n and F100. I would expect the FM2n to be the most repairable of the pair if they stopped working.

16. Oly_Man

Oly_Man Well-Known Member

It's hard to take such a list seriously when it doesn't include any Olympus OMs and is proportionately-overpopulated with Nikons and Canons (some would say 'predictably')

17. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Just proves that some people have no taste 8-P