1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100mm macro

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by jhill, Feb 11, 2002.

1. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I am considering getting Minoltas 100mm F2,8 1:1 macro lens.
    If anyone out there has owned or used this lens oyur opinions on it would be gratefully received

jhill

Never turn your back on reality-reality has very sharp teeth.

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John,

If we're talking about the 100 mm f/2.8 D macro lensthen AP (i.e. Dr Stewart Bell & Joel Lacey) did a test on it a year ago (3/Feb/2001) and it scored well overall score 88%. The only macro lens I've had my hands on is a sigma 105mm and I thought it performed well I would expect the Minolta D lens to outperform it. With of course the price to match!
    What I wan't to know is where are you finding all these bits of kit and what sort of deals are you negotiating, and can I have some please.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN

3. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I buy 95% of my stuff from SRS Microsystems in Watford Hertfordshire. They advertise in AP and also do mail order. Usually loads of second hand gear of all makes(nik/can/min/olym/broni/etc), nice chaps too, (they delight in undercutting Jessops.)They hold a large stock of new kit of all makes and types (I don't think they hold any new medium format stuff in stock though, but they do have a selection of 2nd hand m/f gear) and I have never had to order a lens, its nice to be able to go in and try a range of lenses out before deciding what you like best, I have never paid more than I have seen advertised elsewhere as they want custom and are willing to make sure they get it. Their advise is top notch too (all experienced chaps).

jhill

4. philipbowman

philipbowman Well-Known Member

Agree about SRS - well worth walking past three branches of Jessops for. A Window shopper's dream.

Phil Bowman, Watford

"Don't point that Moot at me, Moriaty..."

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Worth going to Watford for!

(I actually quite like Watford. Really.)

Nick NRIPN

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Never been to Watford. Maybe it'd be worth it after all !!&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Re: 100mm macro & past the 300 posts

John,

Lucky you, if memory serves right SRS are a Minolta Pro centre & therefore will hopefully have all the kit available - It's probably good that I don't live near Watford or my Bank manager would be asking me some serious questions about the 'Large Overdraft' I would undoubtably have accrued, mind you I get Jessops to price match SRS!

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN

8. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

And I get more off their advertised price as a regular :) (Don't tell phill though)

jhill

9. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I tried the lens yesterday but they advised me to stick with my Tamron 90mm as they reckoned the difference in quality either wasn't worth the extra dosh I'd have to cough up, or wasn't there in the first place.
    I am now being tempted by the Sigma 50-500mm (they know all my weak spots) but at £750 it is even more money than the macro especially as I wouldn't have a lens to trade against it.
    Anyone know if this lens is worth the cost?
    I tried a Nikon version on a F80 but they didn't have a Minolta one in stock. (do all Nikons focus as slowly as the F80?)

jhill

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

"(do all Nikons focus as slowly as the F80?)"

No, most are much slower.

Nick NRIPN

11. TimF

Miaow!! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

12. TimF

Maybe its the lens is slow.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Factually correct - the F80 is loads quicker than most previous Nikons. The F100, F5 and F90X are pretty good, though. I remember trying the F801 - the slowest focusing SLR I've ever used.

Nick NRIPN

14. MickL

MickL Well-Known Member

I was going to recommend the 100mm macro until I realised that you already had a Tamron. The advice given to you not to spend several hundred pounds to upgrade is probably right. I have the 100mm and a friend has the TAmron - mine is better but not so much better that I would spend a lot to change.

What I did want to say is that, if your budget will stretch that far, consider the Minolta 200mm macro. I also have that lens and it's quite superb. In my view it's much sharper than the 100mm and it handles the out of focus backgrounds excellently. It's limitation is that it's an f4 max aperture - but in macro work you usually work at small apertures so it's not much of a bother.

As I said I think that it's a wonderful lens and my macro work has stepped up a level since I owned it.

RGDS
    MickL

15. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Now there IS a thought. I'll have to consider that one. Mind you it still will only be 1:1 ratio but if the quality and resoulution are much better it would be worth the money.
    My dream lens would be the 1X-3X macro zoom but then I'll only have that much money to blow on one lens in my dreams too.

jhill

16. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Unfortunatelly I can't confirm that as they don't have a Minolta version in stock (sold it last week), but if I do get one (subject to getting a few positive comments on it) I'll let you know.

jhill