1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

100-400 on aps-C Magnification query

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by pixelpuffin, May 8, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Having now learnt the hard way just how difficult BIF is, I think at this minute I really need practice practice practice as opposed to just assuming a new lens will magically present perfect pictures.

Magnifying the subject even more will not help me at this stage. if nothing else, conquering the technique to be successful will bode well for sons soccer games.

(can’t believe I fumbled and missed the pigeon slaying -WOW pretty embarrassed tbh - I wonder how many years will now pass before I see that on my doorstep again. Really annoyed at myself at the minute. )

I’m now determined to sort myself out and not be so complacent - clearly gear only goes so far, I’ve learnt a valuable lesson.

The old adage “ All the gear No idea “
    Springs to mind.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Equipment alone doesn’t make a picture. The guys who turn in great bird photos week in week out do so because they spend their lives at developing the fieldcraft to be in the right place at the right time. It has to be something of an obsession. The free bird-guides weekly newsletter is interesting to read. It has a photo of the week section with a selection of 10 or so pictures picked from IRIS which is a bird photographers’ forum. Some pictures on there beggar belief. This week is more bird-on-a-stick but a lovely BIF of a sand martin. https://www.birdguides.com/articles...0ZE~lfKbFpOKlLsubKhlNFchIW2E4I8RZvd~gqpRqXqVn

3. pixelpuffin

Totally agree Pete
    I never thought I would begin taking bird pictures, I never saw the point, but now I get it. I always thought fishing was pretty pointless...spend all day trying to catch only then to put it back - Doh!!!

I’m going to persevere and try to get some stunning shots of both crows and ravens. After all, they are literally on my doorstep. The pair are nesting in the tree next to my house. I’m slowly understanding their flight path. I never realised just how clever they are. That they are the most intelligent birds on the planet!! Their brain is almost as big as a human brain in proportion to their size and they can live to be 30 years old!! WOW

The pigeon it caught was one of a pair that I see going into my conifers- they’ve been coming everyday to feed along with the blackbirds. Everyday like clockwork. The remaining pigeon looks lost. TBF the crows made numerous dives to warn them off the feeder but left the blackbirds alone??
    Sometimes both blackbird and raven were on the feeder at the same time!!
    Fascinating stuff. cant wait to get home from work and try again.

my partner has joked I remind her of the roller skating panda advert - nice

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No idea what you folk are talking about, I was shooting birds in flight within hours of buying my first DSLR using only a kit lens. Here's a few of my keepers from 2013. All JPGs, straight from camera, no processing neeeded!

IMG_1065_x800_hq.jpg IMG_1066_x800_hq.jpg IMG_1067_x800_hq.jpg IMG_1068_x800_hq.jpg IMG_1080_x800_hq.jpg

dream_police and MJB like this.
  5. PeteRob

:) love it.

6. EightBitTony

Standing upright at Attenborough Nature Reserve is really hard with that crazy incline (as shown in pictures 3 and 4), trust me.

7. EightBitTony

On a more serious note for @pixelpuffin the old 100-400 shouldn't be dismissed, it did quite well, even on my 600D. These are from 2015, neither will win any awards, and they're both soft and decent crops, but I think given two years of practice they're not too bad.

20150412-600D-5853_x1024_hq.jpg 20150412-600D-5987_x1024_hq.jpg

And this is the garden variety shot, taken from the house, with the birds at the bottom of the garden (again, it's a crop on a crop sensor body)

20160515-7DM2-5775_x800_hq.jpg

But it's a heavy lens, and I sold it as a result of a lack of use (I decided wildlife wasn't for me)

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

probably agree as I find using my 5Diii easier to find the bird in the viewfinder.

9. Bazarchie

Gives me something to aspire to!

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. pixelpuffin

9F49B1FB-7B0F-445B-B29B-97BF7D55CEE5.jpeg When I bought the kenko (1.4x Pro300 DGX) off eBay I decided to get the 2x version too
    It arrived today. I mounted it onto my canon 200/2.8L attached the 80d and disappeared outside for the last hour or so of light
    Using Manual I selected 1/500th f8 Iso Auto
    The camera chose Iso 16,000!!
    The raven arrived and I managed to get a few shots before he flew off.
    Expecting utter garbage I popped the card into the laptop (jpeg file size 13 mb) then sent it to my phone at 551kb to upload here.

considering this is 3rd party 2x with ridiculously high iso then downsized to less than 1mb...I’m actually quite impressed - forget the subject I’m more interested in what the combination could deliver in terms of detail....

11. PeteRob

Looks good! Surprised at 16,000 for ISO. I don’t think I’ve ever used more than 3200.

12. pixelpuffin

Thanks Pete
    I’m going to stick with this combination to see what I can get in good light with lower iso
    Whilst waiting for something to arrive I took a few shots of different things around me. One was just a few leaves on a branch...the detail is far higher than I expected. the converters were both used of eBay £49 for the 1.4 & £69 for the 2x
    I’m really pleased considering how cheap they were.

13. Bazarchie

Well done. How close was the raven?

14. pixelpuffin

Thanks Bazarchie
    About 25ft - I had previously switched to manual focus and forgot to switch back when the raven came - so this is manual focus with my ageing dodgy eyes!!
    Just to add even with the 2x fitted the AF was blazing fast. That’s only the 2nd time I’ve used the 200mm - I previously dismissed it over other lenses In my arsenal with IS, but I think it will see much more use from now on. I really enjoyed using it.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I always have auto ISO on, but have it limited to a maximum of 6400 on my 7Dii.

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

You don't know what you're missing ! Modern high ISO settings can produce some quite amazing results IMHO - and that;'s with very little post processing and no noise reduction as I don't have any such software

17. pixelpuffin

Like you, I too use auto iso a lot these days - especially with the 7d2 and 80d as both still over exposure compensation which my 7d doesn’t have and made auto iso a very hit and miss affair.
    Auto iso and exp comp makes life a whole lot easier.

18. PeteRob

How modern? The 1Div was launched in 2009 and is 16 MP on APS-H and although its native ISO max is 12,800, 3200 is where it starts to suffer. Bearing in mind that, for bird photography everything gets cropped and detail is important.

19. EightBitTony

Not on the 7d2, notoriously noisy images. It's sensor and processor dependant, not like for like across all cameras of the same age.

20. PeteRob

Not sure that it is a Raven, more like a Carrion Crow but the pictures in my book aren't very good. Ravens are huge - 40% bigger than a Carrion Crow.