1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Classic film cameras

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Fen, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

PC Magazine has picked out what it thinks are 10 Classic film cameras.

Was wondering what people thought...

The list is via this link

2. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

WOT, no Pentax MX nor Olympus OM1 ??

Strange mix of pro gear and compacts there, not yer average enthusiast's kit.

No Bronica neither.......

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No Minolta, who in their heyday were the great innovators, nor anything from Contax. Still, it is PC magazine. :confused:

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Interesting list - I'm sure everybody's list will be different.

I did manage to buy a used Nikon F3 shortly before Jessops stopped selling s/h gear, and I do have an old Rolleicord, but that's about it. Last October I saw a Hasselblad SWC in use at Portmeirion, and that's probably the only time I've seen one not in a dealer's cabinet.

Glad that they listed the Canon AE1 - which if my memory is correct was the camera that started the revolution in manufacturing methods, and which has led onto our current crop of DSLRs being affordable.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Translation:
    10 = Ten
    Cool = We like them and they are different
    Classic = Not digital
    Film = Really not digital
    Cameras = Cameras

This article comes from a computer magazine and in photographic terms is close to irrelevant.

6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Wot no Zeiss 120 folders? Mind you PC is probably too young to have heard of them.

I'm sure at least one of the Super Ikontas would feature in a real Classic line up.

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Yep, to my mind the absence of the Olympus OM1 is a glaring omission from any top ten classic film camera list! :(

BigWill

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Don't think the list is an 'All Time' or 'Ultimate' Top10 but merely a selection of ten cool film cameras.

In that the list is OK. All good choices, some better than others. Not too happy about people being encouraged to go out and buy SWCs! Have you seen the price of them recently? :eek:

For some of us, ALL film cameras are cool! :D :eek: :cool:

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I'd rather an SWC than any similarly priced digital camera though. In that context they are still good value.

10. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, the F3 must be cool because it featured not once but twice in AP's 100 greatest cameras ever!

I think it's just a fun list as the title suggests - we'd all have a different one, wouldn't we? In fact, if no-one else has started one by this evening, I might start one myself.

I'm beginning to worry about Olybacker - that's twice I've resembled his remark in two days!

Adrian

(just off to collect the prints from the Agfa Parat I half-frame. should be fun, as I've tried to take diptychs. It's harder work than you think!)

11. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Not a bad choice (except the Oly XA) but it's more "what to be seen with" than what to use. I would have the Canon A1 over the AE1 and Nikons F and F2 over the F3 and obviously they haven't heard of cameras beginning with M (Mamiya, Minolta, Miranda).

12. Ben Myerson

Ben Myerson Member

All their "10 classic cameras" they have chosen do is go to expose their ignorance of the subject, what's patently obvious is computer nerds aught to stick to computers.

13. gray1720

An incisive remark there, from the editor of "Constructive and Tactful Criticism Monthly, no doubt.

Adrian

14. 0lybacker

^ WHS ^

+

Chuckle of the Day Award. :D

15. gray1720

Well, I've started a thread for our 10 classics up-lounge. Will be interesting to see if you-know-who demonstrates the depth of his knowledge by picking his ten.

Adrian

16. 0lybacker

you-know-who :confused:

17. gray1720

See post number 12...

Adrian

18. 0lybacker

Oh!

Thought you might have meant another Prominent Poster ...