1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

1 year anniversary web site 2 year anniversary as a dslr shooter

Discussion in 'Personal Portfolio Sites' started by chrisevans, Nov 6, 2013.

1. chrisevans

chrisevans Well-Known Member

2 years ago after watching England crash out of the Rugby World Cup I spontaneously jumped into my wife's car and drove straight to Grays of Westminster where I purchased a D7000 in an attempt to make me feel a little better. There, I'd done it, now to tell my wife!

I'd been snapping the family with our 2 then 5 megapixel IXUS for the last 10 years and she'd started to encouraging me to take it a bit more seriously. I'm not sure she meant £800 more seriously but with Gray's advice the Nikon kit seemed to fit the bill.

I spent the first year with the camera in any bag I carried, it even went to work with me where I snapped all that caught my eye on my commute. That first 12 months left me with a lot of images on my computer until I eventually gave in to friends, family and colleagues to get my images online.

I was very random and scatter gun in my subject choice but more recently I've tried to shoot more people as I find this an incredibly hard disapline. I know that sounds odd but I'm not brilliant with people or children, despite having 3 so I thought it was good for me to work outside my comfort zone and really push myself. I do love landscapes and it's probably a more natural fit with my personality but with a large family and a demanding job I just don't have the time to commit to getting that one perfect landscape shot. Maybe one day when I retire.

So there you go, 2 anniversaries and I still love it. I've been migrating images across to the AP reader gallery then I looked deeper and four this specific topic on the forum.

Hope you like, either way, all comments gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

http://www.chrisevansphotography.co.uk

2. chrisevans

Re: 1 year anniversary web site 2 year anniversary as a dslr sho

I've also opened my first flicker account 7 months ago!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93986739@N07/

All constructive comments received with open arms, ears and mind.

3. pdleighton

pdleighton Member

Hey Chris.

Just had a browse of your site. Some great pictures. Especially the portraits. Sounds like you started your photography in a similar way to myself. Love the IXUS camera's.

Made a comment on your site about one of your photos. Great work. :p

Cheers

Phil

4. chrisevans

Hi Phil

Thanks for the comments, feed back is so important for progress and development. Much appriciated.

I had a quick look at your web site, my son loves your lego BATMAN characters. I like your portraits, very creative and willing models.

You appear to be pursuing sports photography, very brave, it's such a difficult skill, when you see some of the shots taken at the Olympics by the Getty team, they leave me speechless.

That 24-105mm is a nice bit of kit.

Keep it up.

Chris

Canon 24-105mm lens

5. pdleighton

pdleighton Member

Hi Chris

Thank you too, totally agree with the feedback and its importance.

Yeah loving the Lego pictures. I find them useful for practicing my technical and lighting skills when its raining. Glad your son likes them.

The Sports photography is only something I have dabbled in more recently, but certainly is difficult.

Thanks again

Phil

6. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

Nice shots i have followed you on flikr

7. chrisevans

Nice one Neil, thanks very much.

I put stuff on these sites for constructive feed-back, without it I really don't know right from wrong. It's easy to presume we're always in the right but its just not the case, far from it in some cases.

All the best with your photography.

Chris

8. Stretch

Stretch Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,

I like what you have done with the website, some real nice touches and some nice photos.
    Your in a similar position to me apart from about six months ahead lol, im looking into the next steps too. Got the camera, got the website and now looking to build and take the next steps.

Stretch

9. chrisevans

Cheers Stretch!
    THe next step indeed, just what is that next step? My demanding full time job and 3 very enthusiastic kids makes that next step "find more time to shoot". Either of the 2 previous distractions can't be allowed to suffer so it's a real challenge.

Good luck with your next step Stretch, I wish you every success.

Chris