1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£700 to spend.....

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by markd13, Apr 30, 2007.

1. markd13

markd13 Member

Hi all

Thinking of a new camera - have the sony dsc f717 and been very happy with it but its starting to show signs of misbehaviour so.....do i go for another, similar but better, or enter the world of dslr? it seems that there's a lot of trouble with dslr (weight, tedium of lugging lenses, dust on sensor problems etc) that doesnt really outweight the ease and still excellent qualty at the upper end of a non-dslr..any advice, thoughts etc very much appreciated. Im caught in the middle and not sure which way to go!

cheers
    M

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

After several compact digitals and a bridge, I can tell you that there is no comparison when you go to a dSLR. For under £700 you can get a nice, brand new Nikon D80 with 18-135mm lens :)

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

... or any of the major brand's cheaper models.

BUT the "best" camera is the one you have with you and if you're unlikely to always want to lug around a dSLR then something more pocketable has its attractions.

Some of the current crop of compact and super-zoom cameras will give results which only in the largest prints will be seen to be bettered by the larger sensor of a dSLR.

4. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

rogprov has hit the nail on the head. The best camera for you (and anyone else) is one that you'll use. The best SLR system in the world is useless if it's sitting in the cupboard at home. My Pentax DSLR only gets a fraction of the use my compact does. When I view my pictures on screen or on standard sized prints, quality wise I can't tell from which camera they were taken.

5. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

6. Ellie527

Ellie527 Well-Known Member

I've got an Olympus E-400 with a pair of kit lenses, 14-42 and 40-150. It's currently the smallest and lightest dslr on the market. Olympus dust reduction system seems pretty good.

It's as comfortable to handle as my old manual slr and I can't imagine not using it all the time. I can happily carry it round all day, either in town or tramping around the countryside and the bag didn't take up all my hand baggage allowance. Since I bought it I haven't used my previous camera, changing lenses doesn't take a moment.

It took my a long time to choose which to buy, many visits to camera shops.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

My wee Casio compact does fine so long as it's on the lowest ISO and I'm not expecting much, if anything, from the flash. (Casio seems like a good choice if looking for a replacement)

The SLRs are great too but I wouldn't lug one about just on the off chance I'll take some pics. The compact goes everywhere....would feel naked without it :eek:

If the compact does the job why spend more and carry more?

PS Mark might wish to check out the other brands room and have a gander at the Ricoh compact with zoom lens starting at 24mm....mmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. markd13

markd13 Member

thanks to all concerned for your thoughts - about to decide - think SLR may prove less handy as i want to take pics without planning most of the time, so want to have it around most of the time

now to chew over which one....!

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

For £700, why not get a very good compact to carry almost all the time, plus an SLR? For instance, a Fuji f31 at around £150, plus a Pentax K100D at £300, which leaves some money for additional lenses and a flashgun

10. markd13

markd13 Member

ha ha - how thingsd ahcnge when you start playing with a few more cameras! i tried the close up lens on the DSC R1 and it wasnt overly impressive so i thought id take the opportubnity to try out a few dslrs and i think i may now go that way

i tried the Sony Alpha with a sigma 105 macro lens and was blown away, and i liked the feel of the nikon d80. so for my 700/800 quid im tempted by the alpha with standard lens and the sigma macro - unless anyone's got any others that are screamingly obvious betters to suggest

thanks again for your thoughts and patience with a novice

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Hi Mark, by standard lens I presume you mean the Sony 18-70 kit lens, you may want to consider instead the Sigma 17-70, it's f2.8-4.5 so a bit faster than the kit lens, but with a macro as well would push your budget a bit over the £800.
    The big advantage I like with the Sony and its Minolta predecessors is the anti shake or super steady shot as Sony call it.
    Cheers MIKE