1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£700 to spend....but what D-SLR to buy?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by jynormous, Aug 23, 2007.

?

What name appeals to you more?

1. Eccleswait & Hampton House Photographic Society

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Eccleswait Photographic Society

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Eccleswait Camera Club

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

It never ceases to amaze me when newcomers to photography are advised to visit a shop and try out different models to find out which one ' feels' best. Many years ago when my wife decided to join me in my favourite hobby shooting. We visited my favourite gun shop and I selected a nice u/o 12 bore Beretta 686 Super Sportster off the rck. I watched as she lifted it and put it rather awkwardly to her shoulder. " How does it feel" I asked. " How the hell do I know, How should it feel"? Was the somewhat terse reply.

Oh incidentally, buy a D80 with the 18-70mm kit lens and go off and enjoy your trip. :cool:

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Why that would amaze you is beyond me. Camera's are handled and different cameras handle differently. Most people will find one model more comfortable to use than aonther, the control will fall to hand more readily, it will be a better fit for their hand size. You can have the best specifications but if you miss the shot because it's awkward to change your auto-focus points or to change the aperture or shutter speed then what's the advatage? Going to the shop and handling them is the only way to see whether you can comfortably use the camera.

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

You have it your way, I did say Newcomers in fact I even gave the example of my wife as a Newcomer to shooting to make it more simple. Obviously an experienced photographer by definition will be able to judge whether a camera suits them or not.

Yes they can start to form an opinion, that one's too big, that ones small and I suppose it's a starting point. But as my wife said " How's it supposed to feel" It is difficult for the newcomer, in the old days perhaps joining a club as a first step might have been suggested. Although in days of yore most people just went out and bought a simple little camera and worked their way up as their experience grew, now everyone wants it everything at once.

4. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

You're right Brian.

If someone starting archery asks me what kit to buy, my standard answer is "Don't spend a penny until you have had some lessons and some practice".

Archery clubs loan equipment to beginners to start with and offer solid advice about appropriate purchases subsequently.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It's even more important that a camera feels right for a newcomer seeing as an experienced photographer can work their way around poor handling more easily.

Your little story also isn't all that apt. The number of people who have handled guns is small, the same can't be said for cameras. Nearly everyone has at least handled a camera before and more people own cameras than ever before. You don't have to have any experience to be able to tell whether one camera is a better shape and size for your hands than another. The fact that your wife said "How is it supposed to feel?" in the way that you described says more about your wife than it does the validity of trying out a camera in store.