1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£50 digital camera.

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by alanS, Jan 3, 2006.

1. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Happy new year everyone!

I recently bought a digital camera from Woolies, priced at £49.99, and I have to say that I am very impressed with it. I wanted a simple camera to carry in my pocket when I don't have the 20D with me and I therefore went for this basic one rather than getting a new phone with a 2meg camera. It's basically to replace my Jessops 35mm film point and shoot which compliments my Nikon 35mm film SLR. There is no optical zoom and although there is digital zoom I have no intention of using it, its focussed on infinity, the box says its 3.1meg but you can select higher than that so I suppose it interprolates, you can also select normal, fine or superfine quality, it has a flash which you can set to always on, off or auto and it takes a few useable seconds of video and it has a nice metal body.

I took it up to Scotland with me over new year and took 30 odd pictures on Superfine and 4meg settings, just the usual landscape, portrait snaps and a couple of shots through the car windscreen (don't worry, I wasn't driving!). My PC sees the camera as a hard drive so copying them over is easy and only a couple of shots were out of focus. You have to hold the camera very still of course and there is shutter lag so action shots are pretty hard. I am very impressed with a few of the landscape shots and I'll be printing them out and although the expense has been worth it for the enjoyment of getting to grips with it alone the quality of shot possible means that I'll be using it again on days out.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you as I'm surprised at the quality possible from a £50 digital camera.

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

And to think that this camera would have cost about £800 just 5 years ago. Prices have certainly tumbled but the extra spent on more up-market cameras reflect more manual control, an LCD display and a range of other options, not necessarily a better lens or better sensor.

Enjoy using the camera.

3. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Most true, the pictures are pretty similar to those produced by a Fuji S602 Pro Zoom I had a few years ago. That was 3.1 meg and cost over £600 as I recall, although it did have more features.

PS - I forgot to mention that the £50 jobbie also has an LCD display but no optical viewfinder.

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Even better!