1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£400 to spend on my first DSLR?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by bigfred, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bigfred

bigfred Member

my good lady wife has granted me £400 to get myself my first DSLR, as a belated christmas present.

My instinct is to go for the Olympus E410 with the 2 lens kit.. which i can get for the bargain price of £380 on ebay.

does anyone think this is not a good idea? if so what would be your choice?

thanks for your time.

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Jessops. SD14 w/lens, filter, lens cleaner. £500. Fill in form. Send off. Get £200 back.

3. bigfred

bigfred Member

just been on the website and unfortunately there is no lens with the body... thanks anyway.

4. Ellie527

Ellie527 Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not going to be the only person to reply to you this time.

When you look at the specifications on Ebay it's a good idea to cross reference them against those on the Olympus site
    http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_E-410_Specifications.htm Also check the sellers feedback, because some sell reconditioned or ex-demo stock and say they're new because they haven't been 'owned'.

It's selling for £399 at Currys and Dixons, and at Dixons you can get £10 off with the online code here
    http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod398.html

The Olympus kit lenses are very good. The E410 is the only one of the new group that hasn't got IS and it's rather like an SLR camera with a flat body - some people like it, some don't. (I do.)

5. bigfred

bigfred Member

dont know if i'm just loosing my mind or what.. but i really cant find it for that price on either currys or dixons websites...

6. Ellie527

Sorry, I got a bit distracted while I as writing my last message and forgot to submit it straight away.

They're here currys and dixons and strangely now are both listed as out of stock, although it looked as if they were available earlier.

There's another site called e.gears, I've never heard of them before but they appeared on a google search.
    They're selling the "Evolt" which is the US name for the same camera, but selling from within UK.
    I honestly don't know anything about the company, but they're listing it at GBP 294.99 (body only)
    They price the lenses at 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens AND 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Lens(Add GBP 79.99)
    Olympus Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6(Add GBP 25.99)
    Which brings the kit to about £400

Argos are selling it for £449.99

WarehouseExpress at £450

Park Cameras twin lens at £449.00

Jacobs have the single lens kit at £324.99

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A better idea is to look at and handle the products in your price range. I am of the opinion that what looks good in theory may not suit you in reality. Rather than looking for the absolute lowest price I would advise looking and buying in a local store. At least if their are any questions or problems they are easly and quickly resolved. Many stores are negotiable within reason, especially if you are buying more than one item.

There are a number of cameras in your price range, from not just Olympus, but also Nikon, Pentax, Samsung and Canon.

8. Ellie527

True. I can't imagine anybody would buy online without having seen and handled the camera first.

9. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

Thirded. When I handled the cameras I'd put on my shortlist, it was clear that some just didn't sit well in my hands and didn't feel 'right', even though they all did more or less the same job and other peoples' preferences may well have been different. Fortunately one did feel right and that's the one I bought.

10. Hendo

Hendo Well-Known Member