1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£400 - £600 - Canon 400D, Olympus E 510, or Nikon ??

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by alexg, Oct 30, 2007.

1. alexg

alexg Member

Hi all, I'm new to the land of Digital SLR's and I'm looking for a good camera for taking indoor pictures of people and outdoor pictures of mostly still but some moving objects. I'm not looking for top of the range equipment, but a start at around £500 would be good.

I like the look and feel of the Olympus E510, I've heard good things about the Canon EOS 400D, but I also hear that the pro's are using Nikon.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should go for based on their own experience or knowledge of Digital SLR's?

Thanks in advance!
    alex

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

None of these cameras are junk.

Yes, some pros use Nikon. Some pros use Canon. Some pros may even use Olympus....

The camera that is the best for you is the one which you feel most comfortable using. If you know you are comfortable with the Oly 510, that's a sane and sensible choice.

3. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Does David Bailey still use his Olympus Trip? ;)

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

World's best photojournalist (imo) Paolo Pellegrin uses Olys, as well as a 5D when he doesn't have to be discrete.

How you missed the Pentax K10D from the list is beyond me - spec wise and price wise it's a 'must try' camera. Weathersealed, antishake built in, antidust, plus a full range of excellent lenses. It's a great camera.

5. MattSnap

MattSnap Active Member

Used to use Canon and then I tried a Nikon... no going back for me.
    Thing to do is go to a shop have a look at them all - some cameras will fit you hands better than others, some will have the buttons in the right place (for you) and you will also find that they all have different weights...
    If you're going to spend £400-600 the shop should be more than happy to show you what they have - then buy it online for half the price! Ha Ha!
    Cheers - matt.

6. alexg

alexg Member

Well, I was trying to keep my choices limited as it's confusing enough with three. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check the Pentax.

Alex

7. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Well if you are going to have a look at the Pentax remember to have a look at it's Samsung sister. The Samsung might e few £'s cheaper.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

with another lens thrown in as well

9. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

And an extra years guarantee.

10. Towershot

Towershot Well-Known Member

11. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

You mention Nikon and may have looked at the D40/D40x which are within your budget, but just to let you know I just taken delivery of a brand new D80 with Nikon 18-70 kit lens, 2Gb fast SD card, case & cleaning kit, all for under £550 inc. delivery. :D :D :D

Can’t say what camera would be best for you; just letting you know what deals can be had on t’interweb! Many D80's come with the 18-135 kit lens but this combo was £100 more expensive, so I went for the 18-70 set and got myself a new Nikon 55-200 VR lens for £120!

So pleased I found this deal as the D80 just felt a lot better in my hands than the smaller entry level dSLR's on the shelves, plus I really like the layout of the camera.

Teddy

12. MarkStar

MarkStar New Member

Hi,

I too am looking to purchase a new DSLR within this price bracket. I was edging towards the EOS 400D due to the price. However after seeing the last post I am now considering the D80 again. I don't suppose you could tell me what website you purchased from please. I have been searching the net frantically, however I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to that bargain!!!

Thanks in advance.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

14. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

For what it's worth there's £100 cashback on the Olympus E-510.

See Relevant thread in the Olympus Forum.

I'm always amused by the 'Pro' label, just how does one define a 'Pro Photographer'

There's more to being a Pro than covering sporting events with an oversized camera and a monster sized White/Grey lens :D

Richard

15. stenchbings

stenchbings Well-Known Member

where was this? im after one of these now and the closest i can find is 600 bargain basement at currys?! and that is just body and lens.

cheers

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

There is now £50 cashback from Nikon UK for a D80 and lens bought in the same transaction; see www.Nikon.co.uk for more info

17. stenchbings

stenchbings Well-Known Member

ive just had a quick look and i cant seem to find anything for the cashback? any chance of the direct link or a bit more direction?

cheers

18. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

19. Teddy

Teddy Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring this old post up but I've been PM'd a couple of times to list where I found my D80 +18-70 lens for under £550; it was from digital-rev on ebay. Only thing I've noticed now is they have stopped offering to refund import tax, might be worth mailing them & asking!

ebay

20. alexg

alexg Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I still haven't decided although it's between the Olympus Pentax and Nikon now... I just wish I could find the deal that this guy was talking about. It must have been an ebay special.

If anyone knows where you can get this deal for <u>that price</u> please share for us all.