1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£300 budget.........new or 2nd hand?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by audi321, Mar 3, 2014.

1. audi321

audi321 Member

Hi all. I've decided to buy a DSLR.

I've a budget of around £300 for the body only.

I really have no specific purpose for the camera, I do like skiing, so action shots and landscape pics might be most shot, I don't do a lot of portraits so I guess this would be bottom of the list.

The main question is should I buy new, or 2nd hand? I could get a full frame Canon 5D mk 1 for around £300 now, which obviously is a few years old but was expensive in it's day, or I could buy a new 1200d for a similar amount, which obviously isn't full frame but it has 6/7 years newer technology so you would expect it to be better?

Or is there anything else I should consider? Again, whilst looking, I could buy a Canon 1ds mk 1 for the same money.

I'm confused! Help me please!

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You don't mention your experience level, or any lenses you already own?

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

If you want to take a camera out ski-ing, I'd recommend one of the Panasonic G series DSLR look-alikes that have an electronic viewfinder, as long as you don't have problems with using one of those. Some people experience problems ranging from very mild to quite severe with EVFs so do check first.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Why do you want a DSLR for skiing? Assuming that you are participant rather than spectator I would have thought that a GoPro video camera for your hat would best capture the excitement of the pastime.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You need to firm up your "specific purpose" really. I suspect £300 isn't much compared to a ski holiday and all the kit!

The 5D is a great camera for landscapes - I am not going to retire mine any time soon but I got a 1D iv for action shots as the original 5D won't keep up with fast subjects if downhill is your thing. These are big cameras - you will hurt yourself if you fall on one skiing (camera won't feel a thing). Lenses to get the best of these cameras are expensive too. Adjust your mindset to 4 figures.

6. audi321

audi321 Member

Hi again, thanks for all your replies. I've maybe misled you about the skiing. I meant I will have some spectacular landscape to take photos of (mountains, etc) rather than actually skiing downhill with the thing in my hands.

I'm relatively experienced with compact/bridge cameras, but this would be my first SLR.

I really only want to know if a camera which was a few thousand new a few years ago would be a better buy than a new one these days? i.e. has technology moved on that much in recent years to mean a vast difference between picture quality?

Cheers again.

7. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to do some comparisons. I suspect that at base ISO there is not too much in it, but noise control has got to be a lot better in recent times, leading to much cleaner images at higher ISOs. Further, pixel density has increased without any noticeable fall off in quality. If you can accept smaller files and don't need high ISO performance you would probably be satisfied with an older DSLR.

8. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I see very many threads asking about what is the best camera to buy. Very few seem to consider lenses but I think lenses make much more of a difference. What is your lens budget?

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There is a third way, consider the middle ground, something like a 40D. Middle of them in age terms, but better built than the entry level cameras.

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Buying a used top-end camera is, to my mind, fraught with danger. it may have been used in a studio and/or by a pro and have had plenty of use. If you can find a privately-owned, little used and much cared for model, then fair enough. Other than that I'd prefer to buy new with the comfort of a 12 or 24 month warranty.

Anything else to consider? Nikon D3200, some of the older Canons on clearance discounts. Always try before you buy to see if the camera fels "right" in your hands

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have a vague idea that AP might have compared the 5D generations but I am not sure.

For me the 5D results hold up still. ISO max is 800. The rear LCD is hopeless in comparison to modern ones (funny how your perception changes). this will be the case also for the other cameras you mention. If you want to tether it then you are limited to Windows (vista 32, not sure later versions) because EOS utility compatibility stopped when liveview was introduced and mac went to intel chips at that time.

As was mentioned it is the lenses that are important too and the 'L' lenses are expensive. I haven't checked dealers prices s/h but a well used 24-105 F4 L that was the kit lens must be something like 300 by itself.