1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£300 budget for new equipment ...

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Parfo79, May 1, 2014.

1. Parfo79

Parfo79 Member

I currently have a D40x with just 8700 actuations, 70-300 nikon and 18-55 kit lens. My question is should I buy a new lens (17-70/12-24) or new camera (D300/D7000)? My budget is around £300 but would possibly go to £400.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Which do you need? If you don't have photographic needs right now I'd recommend to keep saving until you do. Then you'll make an overall better use of funds.

3. Parfo79

Parfo79 Member

I find I'm swapping lenses a lot. I prefer the 70-300 but I wish it was 55-300 as I use it on 70 most of the time but think the 55-70 range would be a 'sweet spot' for me.
    As for the camera. It's my first dslr and an entry level dslr but I am using it more and more and trying out different types of photography like studio work so was thinking it was time to upgrade. To be honest I'm 50/50 between lens and body.

4. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

The sensible answer is lens as it should last a long time and will come with you as you upgrade body later. That said I'm desperate to upgrade my body when I should be looking at glass but I really really want a new body

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's your answer then! To upgrade the body will not fix the "gap". I found the canon 24-105 on FF covers most things and 17-70 with a 1.5x factor is 27-105 is pretty close especially if you prefer the longer end and are not needing anything wider than your kit lens

6. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

yep, and I start the diet next week :rolleyes:

sounds to me like its the lens you need not the body.

agree its my walkabout lens and fits nearly all photos

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I need a little bit more info. The 18-55mm zoom you are using with the D40X: is it the latest Mk2 version?

If you are finding yourself in a gap between 55mm and 70mm a lot of the time - and you do not have the latest 18-55mm - then I'd suggest thinking about the 18-105mm Nikkor and, in time, a 'new' (ie. maybe s/h or a refurb) body.

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

or the 16-85mm... though that would stretch the budget a little.

9. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I'll second Beatnik's recommendation for the 16-85 VR - great walk around lens on DX. It'll cover your sweet spot, stretch a little further at the long end, and go reasonably wide - there's a noticeable difference between 16mm & 18mm.

If the budget won't stretch to a new one, I see Mifsuds have a second hand one in E++ condition at £329.

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi P_79,

If you've got the Nickor (spelling for proper pronunciation …. across the pond and outside of North America ;) ) 70-300/4-5.6 VR lens, you might want to forget my recommendations cuz it's a great lens :) If you have an older film lens from Ni[c]kon, then you might want to peruse my ideas for you, albeit from a post I made last night to someone else on AP :D Or, if you're tired of always switching lenses ;)

Take a peek:

Also, if noise is an issue for/in your shooting style, then a body upgrade wouldn't be the worst thing you could do :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

left-field suggestion.....
    Get a Nikon D3200 body only, currently available with cashback, then go out with one lens on each body.You won' miss a shot because of having to change lenses.

12. Parfo79

Parfo79 Member

Thank you for all the help and advice guys. I went to Carmarthen cameras today. Great shop, great service. They had a 17-70 sigma and a D300 in my price range. Now although I agree with what most of you are saying........I now own a D300 with 10,000 actuations and in near mint condition. Only played with it a little but so far I'm very impressed.

13. Done_rundleCams

Congrats P_79 :) Have fun with your new kit and look forward to seeing
    lots of pics ;)

Cheers,

Jack

14. Parfo79

Parfo79 Member

Thanks. So far im very impressed. Went out today and took 500+ images. A lot more keepers than with the little D40x and I felt more confident to change settings as it is so much easier to do so. Photos to follow ;-)

15. Parfo79

Parfo79 Member

A couple of great allround lenses there.

16. 0lybacker

I was about to post, e.o.l.week, that I also endorsed the recommend of the 16-85mm as a good suggestion ...

... doh! ...

... you've beaten me to it. I think a D300 is a good move up from the D40x. You can always, in time after some saving, trade your 18-55 & 17-70 Sigma, for the 16-85mm 'Nickor'. ;)

17. 0lybacker

Phew Jack,

That's kinda risky, dangerous stuff - you might as well mention football ... er, .. soccer ... umh, .... Association Football in a post.

:D

Cheers,
    Oly

18. Done_rundleCams

What can I say, Oly, I'm a NBRT ….
    natural born risk taker :D

Cheers,

Jack