1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£2700 to spend - Which Canon?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by losman, Apr 20, 2010.

1. losman

losman Member

Hi,

I have been given £2700 of jessops vouchers to spend as part of an insurance claim settlement and want to buy a new Canon SLR. I already have a sigma 10 - 20mm, Canon 17 - 85mm and speedlight 430ex mkII flash. My dilema is should I go for the 5DmkII with the 24 - 105mm L or the 7D with the 15 - 85mm Lens. I know that if I go full frame I'll lose the use of my Sigma 10 - 20mm which I adore. If I go for the 7D I'm really keen for the 24 - 105mm lens as I want an L quality lens. Will the Canon 10 - 22mm lens fit the 5D? I suppose that's another option?

I know this is my first post, but which way would you guys go. I'm keen to stay Canon.

Thanks!

2. chr1s

chr1s Well-Known Member

if it were me, i'd go for the 5d mk2.

with either the 24-105 f4L, a selection of primes, or more likely the the 24-70 f2.8L.

if you go for the 24-105 option you'll have 300 quid left over, so if you sell your sigma 10-20 and canon 17-85 you'll not be far off getting the canon 17-40 f4L, which will give you a viewing angle very similar to what your sigma has been giving you so far

though...

what are YOU going to be using the camera for?

3. losman

losman Member

Thanks for the reply. That's odd as I was just looking at the canon 17-40 f4L with a view to doing what you said. However I've just been on a few sites showing the HD video quality of the 7D and it looks totally amazing canon (blog planet 5D). My only worry with the 5D is that it is now 2 yrs old and I'd hate to spend all this cash only for a MkIII to arrive.

I mainy use the Camera (currently a 40D) for portait style shots of my family, creative scenery and general abstract shots. My previous camera was a 350D so I do seem to be heading full frame. Is the 24 - 105 a good all round lens which would keep me going for a while?

4. Straightarm

Straightarm Well-Known Member

The 5D mk2 is only about 18 months old, and its predecessor was introduced 3 years before that. I think that a successor is a little time away, probably after a 1DS mk4

And it's a wonderful camera!

5. losman

losman Member

I'm sort of pretty sold on going for the 5DMKII now. Will go for the kit with the 24 - 105mm and see how I get on. I'm a little worried about no pop up flash, but hopefully the quality optics will suffice. I still like the features of the 7D however, focusing points, inclinometer, 100% viewfinder and the various HD vid settings. Just ashame it's not a 35mm sensor.

6. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

It's never bothered me with the old 5D, anyway you've got a 430 MkII so you're covered. With the 430 being quite small you'd probably not notice carrying it.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And if you're that worried, get a 270EX - great little gun, far better than any pop-up, yet very nearly as compact.