1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

£250 to spend - brand new super zoom or 2nd hand dig SLR?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by alboo1, Nov 30, 2006.

1. alboo1

alboo1 Member

Dear All - my first post, so hello to you.

Our Problem - Our Nikon F60 seems partially deceased - no point in fixing as too expensive (although a great camera).

Good news - we have £250 ( <u>max!</u> ) to treat ourselves to an alternative (nearly Xmas and all that!).

Options - a brand new 'super zoom' or bridge camera ie Sony DSC-H2, Canon S3 IS, Panasonic DMC-FZ7, Fuji Finepix S6500, etc;
    OR
    2nd hand digital SLR (although would £250 stretch that far to include lens and other gear?)

Our requirements - landscapes, portraits, action, close-ups (preferably good quality).

Your task(!) - a) please guide on which option you feel is the best one and why; b) which super zoom or dig SLR should I go for? c) where should I buy this camera?

Thanks for persevering with reading this post, and more thanks for any responses!

Alboo1

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

You don't have enough budget to get a dSLR and lenses to cover your needs. The only "super-zoom" camera of which I have experience is the Sony H5 and I'd highly recommend it.

Read http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper

Roger

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I bought a new Canon Powershot S3is for under £250 last week-end, over-the-counter in a local shop (ex-display but it looked unmarked). I would have preferred a dSLR but couldn't find anything secondhand worth having at the price. Good luck!

4. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Can't beat the S3 IS

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

If you already have Nikon gear, then perhaps saving up a bit more and purchasing a Nikon DSLR.

6. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Have you considered getting another film body? F80s are a steal from Warehouse Express these days, I believe.

7. rsand

rsand Well-Known Member

Try looking for a fuji s1 pro on e-bay my brothers sold for £160, this was my first DSLR and produces very good results, its colour rendition (esp skin tones) and exposure is excellent. I used this professionally whithout issue it was the camera of choice for wedding tog's in its time.

It is Nikon based so should make sence to you and I assume u have at least 1 Nikon lens?

8. daveish182

daveish182 Well-Known Member

Cheapest new digital SLRs as far as I can tell are the Pentax *ist DL and the Samsung GX 1L (which are nearly the same camera),prices with a lens start around £370 and Ive seen the Samsung with two lenses for £400 which sounds a good deal.Check one of the online review sites and you'll find they get good reviews.It's outside your £250 budget but I thought as others are suggesting spending more I would add some info.

9. alboo1

alboo1 Member

Thank you so far for the array of responses.

I kind of guessed that DSLRs would be slightly out of my budget, and when I said a max spend of £250, I was already going £50 over budget! I know that I might be able to get the body of a 2nd hand SLR for under £250, but we don't know if it is our existing camera or lens (x2) that are at fault, and therefore I just want to start afresh.

What I now realise is that we will probably have to go down the route of a super zoom/bridge camera until the time comes where we can afford a decent brand new DSLR.

I don't mean to have wasted anyone's time. But any further comments on which super zoom/bridge camera we should go for would be very helpful. The ones that seem to stand out, having looked at various review sites and forums, are the Sony DSC-H2, the Canon S3 IS and the Panasonic DMC-FZ7. Any further comments would be very much appreciated, along with any further ideas!

Many thanks
    Alboo1

10. daveish182

Nikon D50 body only for around £325 new sounds good if you have some Nikon lenses, sorry I know it's over budget but thought I'd mention it as I said Pentax/Samsung was cheapest.

11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Second hand EOS300D for £249 with 18-55mm lens - just bought one for this price with 12 month's guarantee.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Neither, if you have some level of operation with your F65 either, buy a replacement body, used or new and obviously Nikon or save up for a DSLR body and lens. Rushing will just waste your money, if you really want a DSLR, wait until you can buy what you really want.

13. IvorETower

Why not try a Fuji S5600 as an interim measure whilst you save for a dSLR? Can be had for around £140

14. rsand

rsand Well-Known Member

I still think something like the fuji s1 you may even get an s2 which will work with your lenses (if they are ok) but more importantly you have an upgrade path a any Nikon dslr because any lenses or flashguns etc you buy will work with them.

If you buy a bridge you will find it limiting compared to the slr you are used to and when you come to upgrade its start again time and it will be worth very little second hand. At least the fuji's have dropped most of their value already - its the lens collection that holds the value so its this you want to build. Fot the record the fujis image very well.

15. daveish182

Between £200-£300 for a Fuji S1 on ebay (but I'm not sure I'd buy a digital SLR via ebay), I would expect proper photo dealer prices to be higher so would be close to a new Nikon D50.

16. rsand

rsand Well-Known Member

The feedback system is a good guide on ebay, people 'tend to' look after cameras etc. Like I said my brothers went for just £160 and that was 5 months ago so prob even cheaper now?

17. bazza1603

bazza1603 In the Stop Bath

Hi,

I have an Nikon F65, and am going to Argos today to pick up a Fuji S5600 for £112.49. They also have a £10 voucher off deal which ends today. Depending how I get along and how impressed I am with the Fuji I may sell my Nikon kit.

Best Regards

Baz

18. IvorETower

I'm so glad I didn't buy the Fuji for £112.49 in Argos but instead paid another £133 for a Canon S3is - I have some amazing shots of the Welsh Rally GB from inside the Millenium Stadium; the "is" is definitely worth paying for! Handheld in the stands on maximum zoom, I have some good pan shots. Shame that the camera couldn't focus fast enough and I used in in manual focus mode on infinity. Still learning how to use my new "toy", but around 300 shots in 4 hours has given me an insight into its capabilities!

19. alboo1

alboo1 Member

Well, another big thank you to you all for your tips and advice.

My mind has gone over the options again and again, but I really think, in the last few minutes, that I have come to my final decision (oh, I have to consult with my good lady first though!).

It is likely that my old F60 is defunct. However, I still have two good lenses. Surely I should therefore buy a second hand Nikon D-SLR and enjoy what all of you seem to agree is the better camera compared to any of these super zoom/bridge cameras.

Locally we have a reputable camera shop, Mifsuds, and I have just spoken to them. We discussed the Nikon D50 and the Nikon D70. The chap was quite clear that the D70 was the better camera, and they have some 2nd hand ones for £249 with 3 months warranty.

So that is where we shall head next to have a look and a try (we can obviously test our existing lenses), and then if happy, we can finally make our purchase.

Don't be afraid to confuse me further by making any other comments. I appreciate all the knowledge that is out there!

Thanks
    Alboo1